Author Topic: Patrick Brown and Isabella Duffy  (Read 2601 times)

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Brown and Isabella Duffy
« on: Tuesday 23 August 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information regarding the marriage of Patrick Brown and Isabella Duffy. I know from familysearch.org that two of their children were born in Glendermott parish: William Brown on April 29th 1865, and Annie Brown on February 14th 1868. I have not been able to find any baptismal records for these children. I would also like to find out the names of any other children Patrick and Isabella may have had.
Thanks in advance.
Brendan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Brown and Isabella Duffy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Religion?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 19:11 BST (UK) »
They appear to be Church of Ireland;

Other children are at least;
Eliza 1855
Sarah 1857
Jane 1860
David 1862

(as well as the William and Annie)
In all cases the address is Rossnagalliagh and the Parish is Glendermott, Co Derry. Patrick is a Labourer.

However I haven't found a marriage for Patrick and Isabella anywhere at the moment.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 11:00 BST (UK) »
I see one more earlier child at same address Rossnagalliagh
bap. Glendermott - transcribed as Elleana on May 18 1851

But I still do not see a marriage

noted that informant on Annie Civil Birth registration is Ellen Brown though!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Pennines and Myluck for that information.

I had a feeling the children may have been baptised in a Protestant church, as I wasn't able to find the baptisms of William and 'Annie' recorded in any of the Catholic churches around Derry city.
Isabella Duffy seems to have been a Roman Catholic, according to my research, so Patrick Brown was presumably of the Established Church. It is unusual that their marriage is not recorded, unless they were married prior to the registration of civil marriages in 1845.

I possibly have found a marriage for their son William.
William Brown married Ann Jane Smith in Derry city on August 4th 1890.
They are recorded in the 1901 census as living at Ferguson Street, Derry city. In the 1911 census they are recorded as residing at Orchard Row, Derry city. William's unmarried older sister, Elizabeth (Lizzie) Brown, is recorded as living with the couple on both censuses. Their religion was Church of Ireland.

However, I've had no luck finding marriages for any of the other children of Patrick and Isabella.

Thanks again!!!
Best wishes,
Brendan

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
There are possible marriages for the other children as follows -- father in each case is shown as Patrick Brown, Labourer.;

Jane Brown of 5 Alexander Place married Thomas Wright in St Columbs Parish on 26.10.1878 (a witness was Sarah Brown and there was a note that the bride was a minor)

Sarah Brown of 6 Alexandra Place married Thomas McGuire in St Columbs Parish on 25 Dec 1893.
(a witness was Lizzie Brown)

David 'Browne' of 'Alexander' Place, shown as a Presbyterian, married Mary Ann Mitchell in Parish of 'Second Derry' on 17 Aug 1885.
(may have remarried as a 38 year old widower in 1903 to Lizzie Millar. This time shown as Methodist - Carlisle Parish. He's the correct age with the correct father's name - but may not be your David!)
Places of interest;

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Pennines!!!

That's great information.
From looking at the addresses of the Brown brides and groom I can tell that they are definitely the children of Patrick Brown and Isabella Duffy.
Isabella Brown registered the death of Nancy McConnell (née Duffy) in 1875, and was present at the death and gave her own address as Alexandra Place. I think Isabella was Nancy's sister.
Patrick Brown is recorded as a labourer residing at 5 Alexandra Place in Giveen's Almanac and General Advertiser, a directory for Derry city, in 1879.

Thanks again!!!
All the best,
Brendan

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 August 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Strange though that the children all give a different house number on Alexandra Place - including William when he married.

The information was from the Roots Ireland site -- (subscription site) - if you don't subscribe at the moment, you may just want to give it a brief try - you can purchase 1 month (or even 1 day!) - to see if you consider a longer subscription worthwhile.

Good Luck with your continued research.
Places of interest;

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new on here, I do not know if this post is still active and I am ok to post here, the Patrick brown/browne  mentioned above I am sure is my great great  great grandfather. his son David was my fathers granddad.
I have been trying to find as much information as I can about his family my father and his fathers family were prestbyterian and his mothers family were Methodist.

I have David and Mary ann mitchells marriage certificate of another site and found out about William amd Ann Brown but although Patrick Brown a labourer was on their marriage certificate we could not find any other connection to David so thank you for that anyone else who has any information the the Brown/ Daly family I would be most grateful for