Author Topic: National Archive Look up for ADM records  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: National Archive Look up for ADM records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 August 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much StevieSteve. I am so grateful to you for doing this for me. Please don't inconvenience yourself though. I appreciate that you will be visiting the archives for your own research. I am prepared for the records to not hold any significant clues but I have to try. Please let me know if there is anything I can do in return. I have access to Ancestry and Find My Past so am happy to look for anyone.

Kind Regards Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 September 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Well, I can't count this as one of my most successful lookups ever

ADM 37/7743

I found the writing difficult to read though couldn't see any mention of anyone dying in the week ending 25 Feb 1831. Rather, there were mentions of various strengths of breeze and the Purser buying bread. It was definitely cloudy, though.

I have the images of each day if you want them

ADM 51/3431

There were 2 John Davis on the muster rolls in the period, one an AB born in Dartmouth, the other a Marine 3rd class from Ardwick, Lancashire. Unfortunately, (for you, if not them) I couldn't see that either had died during that period.

Over to you for re-assessment...
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 September 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply. I have been away for the weekend.
Thank you so much for going to the trouble to look this up for me. I was hoping the records would contain even the tiniest clue. This still remains a mystery then. The John Davis that wrote the will, died and was buried within 5 days was a Quartermaster. It is strange how he is not on the Muster Roll. It is also strange that his death on board is not logged but the weather conditions etc are. I am thinking now that maybe he was transferred to another ship before his death to be brought home and the ship may have been one of the other three ships that he was Quartermaster of. That would explain why is is not on the log but  not how he is not on the muster roll. If he was Quartermaster, surely he would be recorded as that.
My John Davis I have as baptised in Sunderland as I have a baptism record on 22nd Dec 1799. However, this would make him 31 not 35 at death so this could be incorrect and he may have been born somewhere else.
If it is not too much trouble, I would like to see the images.

Thanks again
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 September 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
OK, I'll send them this evening

Each photo is about 4Mb so you may want to get them out of your mailbox sharpish

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 September 16 19:59 BST (UK) »
Oops! Re-assessment - John Davis does get a mention - Day 5 mail refers

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 September 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
To anyone following this thread, Stevie Steve has been so kind to go to the National Archives and look up these documents for me. He has now e-mailed the images and the Captains log does mention John Davis ' departed this life John Davis'. He died on 23rd February the day my great x 2 grandmother was born and was buried two days later in Tynemouth.  He is also listed on the alphabetical listings - ship number 70 but no detail. Unfortunately there is no evidence to positively identify him.  Regardless,  I am very grateful to Steve for going to all that trouble for a stranger. Rootschat has been so helpful to me over the years.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 September 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Glad to help

The 70 is actually his entry number on the list rather than a ship

If you look at the entry for the other John Davis in the alphabetical list he has number ML 17 which was Marine List 17 as per attached

Again, looking at that attachment I see Hubert Stanton has DD next to his name which might stand for Deceased. Wish I'd realised that while I was there  :-[

I think I should have another go at this next month

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 September 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
In Royal Navy records, DD = Discharged Dead.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 September 16 23:11 BST (UK) »
Oh I see what you mean and I do know that a ship number is different to the number of the persons on board. I am not very knowledgeable about such things. In his will he says I John Davis Quartermaster on board His Majesty's ship Samarang number on ship books 70. So that is why I said 'ship number 70'. Maybe a later record would show him as deceased but I don't think any more than that. It would have been good to have a record of where he came from. Without that I don't think I will every find what I need to know.