Author Topic: Look up request for marriage St Margaret, Brotton, 1882  (Read 331 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request for marriage St Margaret, Brotton, 1882
« on: Thursday 25 August 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the full marriage register information (e.g where she was living then, witnesses, etc) for an ancestor in my family tree called Isabella Marshall.  She married John Thomas Jackson on 29 October 1882 at St Margaret, Brotton.  I will be grateful for any help that anyone can give looking this up for me.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request for marriage St Margaret, Brotton, 1882
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 16 16:54 BST (UK) »

John Thomas Jackson, full age, bachelor, Miner of Brotton.  Father:  John, Miner
Isabella Marshall, full age, spinster of Brotton.  Father:  Ralph, mechanic 
witnesses:  John (illegible) and Elizabeth Johnson.  Everyone made their mark.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 16 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this speedy answer :).  I really appreciate your help.  I was quite surprised to see her father described as a mechanic.  In the census he is usually down as a blacksmith.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
My apologies for asking this possibly stupid question - and after I've given you the answer  :o :o

How did you know the exact date of the marriage, but not be able to view the contents of the record?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
I found the date of the marriage on someone's Ancestry Tree.  She is an ancestor and I wondered in particular if any of her family were witnesses or not.  It appears not, however.  Isabella was originally from the Northumberland/Tyneside areas and her Father is my blood-line ancestor.  He is usually recorded in records as a blacksmith but at one point he also seems to have ran a pub.