Author Topic: Look up request for marriage in Portsea 1882  (Read 755 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request for marriage in Portsea 1882
« on: Thursday 25 August 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
I would like to find the full marriage register information for an ancestor in my family tree.  He is called Watson Senior and he married Martha Goodall in the Portsea registration district in the December quarter of 1882.  I will really appreciate any help with this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request for marriage in Portsea 1882
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, to find the parish register entry, the name of the church would be needed.  The registration district contains all churches of every denomination as well as the register office.  Without knowing exactly where they married, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  You might have to bite the bullet and buy the certificate.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 16 20:14 BST (UK) »

via FREEBMD.org.uk
Marriage 1882 Dec Portsea 2b 1002 Martha Goodall / Watson Senior

Then order?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi If you can wait until after the Bank Holiday I'll look it up at the library next week some time.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 16 13:41 BST (UK) »
1002 is the very last page for Portsea Island marriages in the GRO index for Dec qtr 1882
Page range is 791 to 1002
Even back in 1882 it's almost certainly not a parish church marriage, which come first in the indexes. Most likely it took place in a register office.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Antiquesam, for your offer of help.  I really appreciate this.  I hope it doesn't turn out that they married in the Register Office.  Thank you to all who have posted concerning this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 September 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
I've looked through the Portsmouth Diocesan Records and the Non Conformist Records with no success. I'm afraid you'll have to order a copy of the Certificate through the CRO and pay them their 9 pound odd. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 September 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Antiquesam for all you have done to try to help me.  Even though what I was hoping for hasn't been found I do very much appreciate you checking this out for me.  You have been most kind!