Author Topic: Can someone tell me approximately what date this Laurenson photo was taken?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me approximately what date this Laurenson photo was taken?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 August 16 06:55 BST (UK) »
I have never heard of Frank Sutcliffe, and just did some googling to have a look at some of his work. Wonderful stuff. So atmospheric.  :)

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 August 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
I have never heard of Frank Sutcliffe, and just did some googling to have a look at some of his work. Wonderful stuff. So atmospheric.  :)

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread, but he is a bit of a hero of mine from my early days of photography. Not for public view, but I cut my 'Gimp' teeth colouring his pictures. I hope he forgives me  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 August 16 13:12 BST (UK) »

I'm a big fan too and have several framed prints one of my favourite being "Sisters"

What a treat for the eyes Ruskie  :D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 August 16 01:13 BST (UK) »
Handypandy, I'm sure Frank would be flattered that you hold his work in such high regard that you used his images to practice your artistic endeavours. He would probably like to see his photos in colour. :)

There is something about the atmosphere of black and white photos though isn't there ....  :)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 August 16 02:09 BST (UK) »
I have looked at their ages and the younger girl looks to be about 17 or 18 with her mother older of course.  No idea but would say the photo was probably taken around 1909 or so.  However, will write my cousin and see if there is a date.

The mother could look older than her age but unsure.  Looking at the photo of Willie with his Mother would say she looks about 17 or 18 in this photo as she looks older when he was a baby.  She died when he was about 2 yrs of age.  Both parents lived until much older the mother dying in 1955!
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 August 16 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Lauraine.. I'm not much use at dating pics, but what makes this subject more difficult is that I can find little to go on. These fishing workers dressed pretty much the same for decades, after trawling the net (pun intended :) ) I've seen photos from Victorian times right up until the early 50's, where there is very little discernible difference. 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 August 16 08:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the original photo - card stock etc, may yield some dating clues?

The dating experts always ask to see the whole photo including edges, and the back of the photo.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 September 16 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Have written my cousin in Shetland but still awaiting a reply.  He hasn't been too well & was recently in hospital for some tests so unsure if he will have time to look at this.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 November 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
My cousin in Shetland has been ill, but recently heard from him suggesting if he "felt up to it" would look for the original photo as he thought it had a date on it. 

Know it has taken some time to get back to you, but here's hoping he will write again soon with a date.  Will let everyone know when he does.