Author Topic: James Cowan: 1879 - 1934 - Canadian Emigration  (Read 3096 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Cowan: 1879 - 1934 - Canadian Emigration
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 August 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian information on Ancestry you need to join and subscribe to access the records think Ancestry was doing a freebie over this weekend ....but I am not sure if that would give you access to the UK Arrivals ....Ev posted a link during the week about this if you search in the top box you should find it ...Tree also on Ancestry or you could see if your  local library has access some do ...Not seeing James or John so far  ???
Rosie
This is the link Ev provided www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/free-access

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 August 16 14:45 BST (UK) »
The only other possible record I can see is a Maggie Cowan b 1888 age 25 out by a few years leaving the Uk 30 August 1913 ship Letitia with a Jessie Cowan age 15 ....But can't trace them on the Canada Passenger lists ...The record that Carole posted for James Cowan gives a birth year of 1880 age 33 Joiner returned Canadian arrival St Johns Newfoundland Canada 12/3/1913
Rosie 

Offline scottishmist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
I think that my grandfather, James Cowan, emigrated to Canada around about 1905, returned to Paisley sometime later to marry Margaret Wilson in 1912, the returned to Toronto where my Father, John, was born in 1914. A daughter (Margaret?) was born in Toronto, but wife Margaret died in 1920, and James, John and Margaret (?) returned to Paisley in 1921.

I have been totally unsuccessful in finding shipping records to and from Ontario, apart from a 1905 entry. Can anyone help please?

Also, family lore has it that James worked at the Eastman Kodak factory in Toronto. It is always interesting to discover why things happened at a particular time. So, does anyone know if Kodak had a recruitment drive in Scotland around this period?

Incidentally, James was the father of Jimmy Clews Cowan - my dad's half brother - goalkeeper when Scotland beat England in 1949, when Jimmy was carried off in triumph and the game went down in football history as "Cowan's Wembley".

Hi Ian I am tracing the Cowan family from Paisley too but I can't see any link to your Cowan family but you never know I have got back to a Edward Cowan born in Ireland and came to Paisley about 1870  I have just traced my line back 
Good luck
Jan Cowan Allan
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,McClean,Chrisholm
Houston:Whyte
Ayrshire:McIlwraith,McCulloch
Kirkcubright:Halliday,Blackloch

Offline Ian Cowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 06 October 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Thanks for this. There are no Edwards on our tree. All of the Cowans - going back to around 1800 - are all Renfrewshire based.

Ian
Cowan family from Paisley, Scotland

Offline kilbrider

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 March 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I just came across this posting as I found on the Canadian Electoral register that my ancestor Allan Cowan (b c 1925) was employed by Kodak in Ontario, and additionally, my Cowan family originated in Ballinderry, Antrim and settled in Renfrewshire. There seem to be a few coincidences! Look forward to hearing from you.
Alan Cowan