Author Topic: Downan or Dowman in Ockbrook  (Read 741 times)

Offline Chris-history

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Downan or Dowman in Ockbrook
« on: Sunday 28 August 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
My ggg grandfather Isaac Beardley married Mary Downan in Ockbrook in 1823 (according to the marriage transcript) however I am not sure if her correct name is Mary Dowman or Dowman. There are Dowmans living in Ockbrook. The confusing thing is that a Mary Dowman married a Thomas Rossell in Ockbrook in 1825, but this is a different Mary as mine is on the 1841 census as Mary Beardsley living with Isaac and died around 1861. I am having trouble finding my Mary's family. Could there be two Mary Dowmans in the same small town?
Thanks
Chris

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Downan or Dowman in Ockbrook
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
From another transcript
29 July 1823
All Saints, Ockbrook
Isaac Beardsley
Mary Dowman
witnesses William Slater & John Dowman

Could there be two Mary Dowmans in the same small town?
That is quite likely, small towns often have siblings of the same family each calling their children by the same first names ie their parents or grandparents names

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage licence for the Thomas Rossell marriage which states that Mary was a spinster.
One of their witnesses was Elizabeth Dowman if it helps to eliminate.

When was your Mary born according to census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 August 16 09:55 BST (UK) »
There were actually FOUR Mary Dowmans..the eldest and the youngest we an eliminate.

Baptised 06.01.1696   d of Thomas and Marguerite
Baptised 17.09.1819   d. of Robert and Sarah

These might be useful if they figure in your tree

The two you want are.........Mary baptised 05.06.1798 daughter of William and Elizabeth
                                       Mary Baptsed 25.04.1803  daughter of Thomas an Elizabeth.

Mary Dowman married Isaac Beardsley (a Frame Smith) 29.07.1823 and had NINE children..witnesses John Dowman and William Slater

Mary Dowman married Thomas Rossell (a Butcher) 31.05.1825 and had SIX children..witnesses Elizabeth Dowman and Thomas Harrison.
which is which is complicated by the fact that both mothers were Elizabeth, but you may have other information to sort it out.
I'll just a have a look to see where John Dowman fits in in1823

Derek

OK we have a JOHN DOWMAN (one of only two) baptised 17.06.1806 son of Thomas and Elizabeth..and therefore is almost certainly the witness to his siter's marriage to Isaac Beardsley.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
Having now traced the parentage of not only all the DOWMANS of Ockbrook..and the marriage of Mary Dowman and Isaac Beardsley..and Isaacs family history and all his family...............I see that you have a particularly good and full tree on Ancestry...and you have another thread on here concerning the Beadsleys...both threads asking for information that you already have in spades...........thanks a bunch for wasting my time, and that of several others.....................I have met many folks like you who seem to get a kick out of getting people chasing around after you...........
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....