Author Topic: Parish Registers - STUART  (Read 2485 times)

Offline StuSearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Registers - STUART
« on: Sunday 28 August 16 07:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a needle in a haystack, but here goes.  My 2x great grandfather, Charles Stuart (b. 1806) left Scotland by ship at age 10 in April 1816 to live with an uncle and two aunts in New Brunswick. He arrived in June 1816. I assume he was an orphan.  Of the two aunts who I assume accompanied him on his voyage, one was named May Stuart. Her birth date is believed to be 1768. The other aunt's name is not known. I have found no ship records.  The uncle, John Stuart, according to his land grant applications in the Miramichi area of Northumberland, New Brunswick, listed his birth as 1783 in Speymouth. John Stuart lists his "two sisters and his brother's son" in his application saying he had sole responsibility for them in making his case for his land grant. John Stuart arrived in New Brunswick in June 1814. Family names used by Charles and his wife Helen Loggie (b. Loggieville, Northumberland, New Brunswick) besides Charles, Ellen and John include Alexander, Elizabeth, Margaret, Robert, James and Ann.  Helen Loggie's parents were Scots John Loggie and Margaret Morrison from the Loggie family of Redhall.  John Loggie's parents were Robert Logie and Marjory Hay, if that helps.  I know families tended to emigrate together so that is why I am hoping that my Stuart ancestor might find be found in some parish record in Morayshire. Such meager information, I know, but can anyone give me some advice?  I should mention that my Charles Stuart's obituary of 1878 said he was born in Sutherlandshire, just to confuse things.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers - STUART
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
I take it that you have searched in the indexes at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi and/or www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Have you also had a look at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp?

If so, it's going to be a bit more difficult to find them, but there are one or two other places where there might be some information.

One that springs to mind is booklets in the series 'The Lands and People of Moray' by Bruce Bishop.

Part 14.   The Northern part of the Parish of Speymouth, including the villages of Garmouth, Essil and Kingston. ISBN 0-9546015-2-1.

Part 15. The Southern part of the Parish of Speymouth, including Dipple, Mosstodloch, Stynie Cowfords and Orbliston. ISBN 0-9546015-3-X.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline StuSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply!  Yes, I have checked both the Family Search and the Scotland's People sites.  I will now search the other sites you suggested.  It's difficult without parents' names, parish names or really, an exact location, but I will persevere!

Offline StuSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
The Lands and People of Moray by Bruce Bishop sounds like a goldmine of information on the area.  I will see how I can get a hold of it.  I am in California and just might have to schedule a trip to Salt Lake City.  Does anyone know if the book has been digitized yet?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 23:49 BST (UK) »
Bruce did mention that some of his 'Lands and People' booklets had been digitised by FindMyPast.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline StuSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Wonderful!  Thank you!  I will search.  I saw a couple of copies of individual volumes advertised for sale on Amazon.com that were each --- mind you, EACH listed at $293!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 07:47 BST (UK) »
Wonderful!  Thank you!  I will search.  I saw a couple of copies of individual volumes advertised for sale on Amazon.com that were each --- mind you, EACH listed at $293!

Good grief, that is a real rip-off. They cost £6 (about a twentieth of that!) if you buy them new. See http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/download.htm#Publications

Offline StuSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 September 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
You're the best!  Many thanks.  I will check out your reference with gratitude!

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
Speymouth is the estuary of the River Spey with the parish of Speymouth on one side and the parish of Bellie on the other.  It may be that he was recorded in that parish rather than the parish of Speymouth itself.  Scotlands People have a baptism of a John Stewart in Bellie, 20th May 1784, to parents Robert Stewart and Margt McKay.  There are 3 other children to these parents on SP:

Robert Stewart - 21st Dec 1786 - Robert Stewart & Margt McKay - Bellie, Moray
Alexander Stuart - 24th July 1789 - Robert Stuart & Margaret McKay - Rathven, Banff (next door parish)
Jannet Stuart - 12th August 1792 - Robert Stuart & Margaret McKay - Rathven, Ba
nff

There is no Mary, Marjorie (and associated spellings) or May but, (big if) if this is your John, I would wonder whether this might be a second marriage and the May you have from 1768 is from a previous wife to Robert or husband to Margaret.  She may even be an illegitimate child to Margaret.  Either way, if she is from a previous relationship of Margaret's, her surname will not be Stuart.  The difficulty is that as many as a third of OPR baptisms are estimated not to have been recorded.

Just thoughts, but might be worth checking this family out on SP to see if there are any clues in the registers.