Author Topic: SYRED Family look-up request  (Read 1626 times)

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SYRED Family look-up request
« on: Sunday 28 August 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
I see that there has been previous interest in this name on these pages.
I would like to know more about the place of origin of, and family background to, a Bathsheba SYRED b.1708, d.1773, who married Thomas Brady of Orford in 1746. She is likely to have had a brother John, connected with the sea. The name appears to have been mis-spelled as Syer in our family record.

Mike Brady
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SYRED Family look-up request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I am on the hunt for my Bradys again but have seen on findmypast that there are burials for a Bathsheba Brady in Orford in 1773 and also in Snape in 1773.

Is this the same person whose body was buried in another parish? They were only 6 miles apart and given the unusual name it seems possible and I have seen this before.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
National burial index - Bathsheba Brady
Orford 10 February 1773
Snape 28 March 1773
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 June 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie. it would appear not then! Unless for some reason the body was moved.

Unlikely, but the name just seems so unusual.

Thanks again.

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 June 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Jon,

Bathsheba’s maiden name was given in our family record as Syer not Syred. I note though that Syer was not an unusual name, nor was Syred.  It would be good to get this corrected if appropriate. This Thomas was one of four children of Charles Brady and Christian, nee Thurstan. Thomas & Bathsheba married at Aldeburgh and begat five children, including Charles born 1738, who was the grandfather of Thomas who married Alice Ripper.
The Snape Brady adds a new dimension, particularly as I believe Snape is considered to be part of Aldeburgh.
Bathsheba was thought by one of my ancestors to behalf sister of the mother of the Poet Crabbe, though no independent evidence of this has yet been turned up.
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Two things.

1)  I'm interested in finding the parents of Hasting (Halston) Syred born @ 1767                  died (age 69 )in 1836 in Brandeston.  Has he, by chance, turned up anywhere on your tree?

2) The two Bathshebas may be a case of the deaths of a mother and  daughter. Perhaps connected to childbirth.  Just a thought

Jann

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
I can't help from my side, Jann.  Only one Bathsheba recorded, who lived as a Brady until 1773, and we know nothing of her mother.