Author Topic: HOLLINSHED family look-up request  (Read 526 times)

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOLLINSHED family look-up request
« on: Sunday 28 August 16 12:41 BST (UK) »

I am trying to trace predecessors of a William Hollinshed who was born, it is believed, around 1651 and settled in Orford, Suffolk. It is known that he was adopted by an Uncle who had some kind of military background and is described as having been a governor at Landguard Fort.  Although the reputed coat of arms is from the Staffordshire branch, it is quite possible that they came through London, although they were dispossessed of land during the Commonwealth.
It is also possible that another Hollinshed also of Orford of name Daniel (buried there 1748), was William’s brother or cousin, who with his wife Ann had a daughter Frances, a name passed on to William’s granddaughter.  The two names William and Daniel together ought to pin down the parents, but success has so far evaded me .
The most likely names from the list of Governors or Deputy Governors of the fort, it would seem to me, would be Charles Rich, Henry Farr, Nathaniel Darell, Possibly Charles Lyttelton.

If anyone could assist with this I would be most grateful.

Mike Brady
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLINSHED family look-up request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 16 12:51 BST (UK) »

There are quite a few William Hollinshed Burials listed for around that timescale on the FindMyPast Site, - all in the Boyd's London Burials Entries. Have you checked them out? Also some Lincolnshire Entries, and a 1678 Marriage. Don't know if you already have all of this?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Landguard Fort at Felixstowe was built in 1543 so entirely possible.
http://www.landguard.com/

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I have seen that one of your interests is in the Brady family of Orford.

I am currently researching the Brady family and have my own query on them up in rootschat here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759925.msg6108179#msg6108179

I wonder if you might please know anything about John Brady and his daughter Sarah who was born c1756 and who married Thomas Grimwood in Orford in 1781.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jon