Author Topic: Searching for my ancestors the Wallace family of Ballyclare.  (Read 3927 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my ancestors the Wallace family of Ballyclare.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 10:16 BST (UK) »
It is confirmed from the birth record of Samuel Sheils on 23 January 1914 that mother Isabella Sheils gave birth to him at home in Lancasterian Street, Carrickfergus.  This, added to the knowledge that an Isabella Shields of Lancasterian Street married Sergeant Major Robert Hugh Wallace in December 1916 presents a reasonable possibility for the parentage of Samuel Shields Wallace who cited his father as Robert Wallace (deceased) when he got married in April 1935. 

Robert Hugh Wallace's background still needs resolution (hopefully someone will respond to your faceboook post), but turning to Isabella Shields, GRONI online has a birth on 8 August 1885 registered in Carrickfergus sub-district within Larne district under 'Isabella Sheals', the parents given as James Sheals and Sarah McMillen.  GRONI online also has a birth for a James Sheals on 1 October 1884, registered in Larne district with mother's maiden name McMillen, also a birth for a Mary Shields born on 16 March 1887, registered in Larne district, mother's maiden name McMillan - these are a satisfactory 'fit' for Isabella's siblings shown in the 1901 and 1911 Lancasterian Street census returns.   

There is a marriage that looks possible in the form of James Shields who  married Sarah Jane McMillan on 6 January 1884 in St. Anne's Church of Ireland Belfast.  Bachelor James was a 25 year old sailor living at 23 Brussels Street, the son of James Shields, a fisherman, spinster Sarah Jane was a 23 year old servant living at 33 Wesley Street, the daughter of James McMillan, a carpenter.  A John Watson and Isabella McMillan were witnesses.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
A Robert Wallace married Isabella Shields 17 Dec.1916 Larne district-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/4f84b56524779

From other free database search he's Robert Hugh Wallace (son of Henry) and she's Isabella Shields (daughter of James).
Thought this might be the correct Robert Hugh Wallace but his father also Robert Hugh-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Rural/Middle_Division/991564
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Urban/Unity_Street/192849

If this turns out to be your family it will be an interesting one to trace- Isabella Shields, daughter of James, mother born in Australia!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus/Lancasterion_Street/992935
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Urban/Lancasterian_Street/192499

Hi Gaffy in the above for Robert H the ages are wrong for the CSM Robert H Wallace of the 2nd batt Royal Irish Rifles serial no 5619, in the 1901 census the soldier would've been 18 yrs old.
Interested in the Wallace’s from Ballymena and the Shields from Carrickfergus.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Also there are only 2 possibilities of Robert being 18 in the 1901 census,

The 2 below are the 4th of March and the 20th of March.

One is in Antrim.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
I suppose if I get his service records then I will have his DOB.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi just some update from today I feel like bursting into tears it is so emotional what I am trying to do, I have become obsessed now with finding out about the Robert Wallace.

This is the journey it took me on today.

For the following info it is starting to all tie in together now, except Robert wasnt 34 when he died he was 40 years old. He was born I guess the 28th May 1882 for his age of 34 or thereabouts from the above attachment,

I managed to stumble across this on my searches which took me in a whole new direction too Newtownards Co Down. It was a memorial page and it opened up a whole new episode.

So I searched for Wallaces in Newtownards Co Down and not Co Antrim,

Then this nugget of info came up.

Now I had an address so back to the census,

I clicked on the link and it is indeed Company Sargeant Major Robert Wallace, so he probably moved to Carrickfergus for the start of the war. As he would've been stationed there, he also fought in the Boer War South Africa campaign on the 3rd January 1898 and served in the army for over 17 years.

Aged 34 in 1911 census living in Newtownards,

I think his birthdate now is 20th July 1878 but I will he we to look into that further.

Now I know why Samuel shields was illegitimate because Robert couldn't marry because he was already married and his wife was probably dead but he was still married.she was called Elizabeth from the census.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
You are only allowed to post certain images on Rootschat (snippets for deciphering purposes, etc.) and as many of the images you've posted are either copyright or against terms and conditions of those websites you will need to remove some of them  :-\

Wallace is a very common surname in Ulster and Isabella is not uncommon amongst them so take care that you don't end up following the wrong people.

Here's a link to Robert Wallace & family in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Newtownards_Urban/John_Street/269555

Added- birth registration: Charles Wallace born 10 June 1909 Newtownards district (mother Smyth)

It's possible that
1) his wife Elizabeth died before 1916
and
2) he was not the father of Samuel Shields who was born in 1914 (a baptism for Samuel might throw some light on this)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I am sorry if I infringed the copyrights, I wasn't aware I have deleted a couple and will delete the others if you so wish,

I was sent an email this afternoon with a picture of his gravestone and the person said to me he won't have a death certificate as he died in France also on his memorial to the gravestone it states his mother and father were Robert and Mary from Ballymena Co Amtrim.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 17:18 BST (UK) »
Just a possibility in Meerut for the daughter:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGW8-V9L

In the 1916 marriage of Robert Hugh Wallace to Isabella Shields, Robert was a widower. But I repeat the anomaly from a previous post, his father was given as Henry Wallace, a shopkeeper. On first glance, no immediate sign of a Robert Wallace - Smyth marriage or an Elizabeth Wallace death, they may well have occurred outside Ireland.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gaffin, I will have to pay for his service records then that will give me his correct DOB and I can then get his birth certificate .
You have been ever so helpful.

Regards Gary