Author Topic: John Stirling born Dunbartonshire  (Read 2414 times)

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stirling born Dunbartonshire
« on: Monday 29 August 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find more on his first wife and children?  I have tried without success and am hoping fresh eyes can find some more information.

John Stirling was born 11/12/1876 Scott's Land, Littlemill, Old Kilpatrick,  parents Thomas Stirling and Margaret Good.  His first wife was a widow, Margaret Cameron nee Campbell and is on 1881 census but not on the 1991.  There are two daughters, Catherine Cameron born about 1871 and Mary Cameron born about 1873.

Sandra

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Stirling born Dunbartonshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 16 23:08 BST (UK) »
Bit confusing - can you clarify

John Stirling was born 11/12/1876 Scott's Land, Littlemill, Old Kilpatrick,  parents Thomas Stirling and Margaret Good.  His first wife was a widow, Margaret Cameron nee Campbell and is on 1881 census but not on the 1991.  There are two daughters, Catherine Cameron born about 1871 and Mary Cameron born about 1873.

As your subject is John Stirling - presume you mean John's first wife was a widow??

If John was only born 1876 it doesn't make sense re Cameron children born 1871 and 1873
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 16 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thinking the same as Carole.

Husband would be younger than her kids.

Can you give some more info. please such as marriage date/who Margaret Campbell's parents were/where was she born/when was she born?

Not too sure what you would like to find out?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 01:11 BST (UK) »
You've clearly got your facts wrong here.

The Margaret Cameron, nee Campbell, that you refer to with children Catherine bc.1871 and Mary bc.1872 was the wife of a Hugh Cameron who died 1877.    Catherine born 12/6/1870 and Mary born 6/7/1872.   

Margaret (bc.1850) herself remarried in 1879 to a James Ferrier with whom she had more children and she died aged 37 in 1887 (when 'your' John Stirling was just 11 years old).

Clearly, this particular lady did not marry John Stirling at all - there is no marriage on SP between a John Stirling and any other Margaret Cameron either.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Apologies to all for trying to make sense of my post in which I got my information mixed up.. It will teach me not to do things in a hurry just before bedtime.

Annette you have managed to get it sorted.  Margaret did marry James Ferrier and they were my grandmother's parents.  Now that you have supplied the dates of birth of the girls I will search further as I can remember visiting "Aunty Kate" who had a son and lived in Bowling, probably in the 50s.  May I ask if you found the information on ScotlandPeople?

Apologies once again. 

Sandra

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 19:25 BST (UK) »
1881 Census shows Hugh and Margaret had 2 other daughters (all children listed as Ferrier but the 4 Cameron girls have second initial of 'C' plus youngest was Jessie Ferrier, 1st child of James and Margaret - checked on SP and found:

Margaret Campbell Cameron b.8/5/1875
Ann Campbell Goldie Cameron b.26/5/1877

The first 2 daughters I found on familysearch.org but births only go up to 1873 (or 4). 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.