Author Topic: Marriage for Margaret Currie  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage for Margaret Currie
« on: Tuesday 30 August 16 02:04 BST (UK) »
Looking for Margaret Currie born 1880 Tayinloan,Kintyre, Argyll. Emigrated from Scotland on Cassandra 11 Oct 1922 to arrive Quebec, 27 Oct 1922. Fiance of Duncan Hyndman, Balcarres, Saskatchewan. Object of immigration , to be married. Believed to have married 1922

Unable to find verification of  when or where they married.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage for Margaret Currie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 05:01 BST (UK) »
Duncan Hyndman died in 1949 and is buried in Balcarres Cemetery but I don't see a Margaret Hyndman listed in the cemetery. The Saskatchewan Residents Index only has an entry regarding Duncan's death and no mention of a marriage or a death of a Margaret Hyndman. Unfortunately the Saskatchewan Vital Statistics historic database doesn't have marriages listed yet.

Who were Margaret's parents? Do you know her exact birth date?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
Deleted as irrelevant .
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 01:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

It was determined Margaret Currie was born 14.Mar 1881,in Campbeltown, Argyll. Parents Neil Currie and Emelia McKinven.  Talking with descendants of Neil Currie, who are personally know we have determined that Margaret born 1881 married William Mitchell born abt 1880 in Campbeltown.and they emigrated to Canada and had a daughter Millie

Emigration certificate Oct 1922 had age 40 which would have made Margaret born in 1882 not 1880 as I previously wrote.  Also she gave nearest relative as Mrs Annie McFarlane, sister, Otterburn, Tarbert. Was unable to find her sister Annie and Neil Currie did not have a daughter Annie.  The family lived on a farm named Bellure, in Tayinloan, where Margaret said she was born.

We were unsuccessful in obtaining a marriage record from the Sask Gov. The Family in Sask had written Duncan and Margaret Currie married 1922. She has been an enigma for years until I found the Immigration Cert on Ancestry.com  in Glasgow, Scotland, Sept 2015.

Again any help is appreciated.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 02:14 BST (UK) »
There is a 1 marriage for a Neil Currie & a forename beginning with "E" with surname McNiven more likely with (soundex option) between 1865 & 1885 in "County" Argyll

I didn't go through the list but it was not in Campbelltown so could have been in any of the surrounding areas of which there are many in Argyll.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 02:22 BST (UK) »
Whether right or wrong her forename is indexed as Emilia

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 02:29 BST (UK) »
Once you can confirm that to be the correct marriage, you can then check census records thereafter for the names of the children & deduce which one was referred to as "Annie"

I call myself "Annie" but not exactly the name I was registered as!

Annie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
There is an Annie Currie, daughter of Donald Currie and Margaret McIntyre, who married John McFarlane in Tarbert in 1888.

I'm confused. Are you saying that Margaret Currie married William in Scotland, came to Canada, had a daughter, returned to Scotland and then returned to Canada using her maiden surname to marry Duncan? What happened to Millie and William?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 September 16 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hmm Jacquie,

Things not quite adding up are they?

"Talking with descendants of Neil Currie, who are personally know(n)"

Hearsay is not a real "source" as we all know.

How much do we actually know from that period?....not much I would say.

I think a few certs. are needed to clarify things which is the only way to go from here at this point & sorry if this seems different to what I'm saying.
Sometimes typing comes across different from a conversation  ;D

Annie