Author Topic: St. Georges Union, Fulham Road, Workhouse in London.  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Georges Union, Fulham Road, Workhouse in London.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 September 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hanwell burials are online for this year, but he is not showing there.

Offline strong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 September 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
This is an area of Ancestry tracing I'm unfamiliar with, so am led by your experience.
Hanwell seems a long way from the St. Goerges Infirmary, which I think comes under the St. Georges Hanover Square district, latterly Wesminster.

Do you have copies of the Workhouse papers? If not can I send them to you. There could be some wording I'm overlooking but did glean he had limb(s) pain. Not good for a window cleaner!
Just for reference, he was working at the Westminster Palace Hotel. A regular staying place for MP's due to it's proximity to the House of Commons.  I have a gut feeling he didn't move away and died soon after 1904.

I have since discovered, the guy who died aged 66 is not mine. He was listed in the 1901 census with an age of 62 as a Barrister at Law. A far cry from the Ag. Lab of my ancestor!

My next effort is to grab from FreeBMD some births & deaths for Sidney/Sydney Strong and see if I can match them up and see what's left over.  Might take a few days, but I'll post any possibilities.

I'm in no desperate rush and if you feel inclined (or curious!) to have a look when you are next in the records office, I will be truly grateful.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, Hanwell is a way out of London (not too far though) but they had to design a cemetery where there was space.

Hanwell was a popular choice, on the other side of the road, literally, is the cemetery for Kensington & Chelsea.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 September 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
There could be some wording I'm overlooking but did glean he had limb(s) pain.

For the Casebook entry when he was first admitted to the workhouse, on 18 November 1903, I agree it says (Pain in limbs).

It's an overflow from the column headed Work certified by doctor, which reads Oakum at present (i.e. he was picking oakum, a standard workhouse task -- see http://www.workhouses.org.uk/life/work.shtml), initialled H. W. W. (presumably the medical officer). Because he had pains in his limbs he was temporarily being allowed to pick oakum rather than doing heavier manual work, such as stone-breaking.

Then in pencil is written Pewsey?, querying the poor-law union to which he was thought chargeable (Enford came under Pewsey). He may have been physically removed to Pewsey, but at this date it's more likely that Westminster would simply have billed Pewsey for the costs of his care.

When he was admitted to the workhouse for the second time, on 28 March 1904, he was passed to the infirmary the same day.

There are no admission/discharge records for the Fulham Road infirmary at this date, as has been stated above (reply #8), so there's no point looking for them at the record office. I believe all the Fulham Road workhouse admission/discharge registers are online up to 1923. There doesn't seem to be another admission for him, and there are no death-index entries in his name in any Westminster registration district. So he seems to have died elsewhere, and Westminster poor-law records are therefore unlikely to help with finding his death.

When searching the deaths index you might want to be flexible about dates. Although he can't be found in 1911, he need not have died -- lots of people can't be found in one census or another, for all sorts of reasons.

That said, my money would still be on the Nantwich death. But, as I mentioned above, a single man who died away from his family, in an institution, and perhaps with a 'generic' occupation such as Labourer, may be hard to identify from the certificate as your target person. Unless there was an accident and a consequent inquest, you're unlikely to learn anything much beyond the basic cause of death.

Offline strong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 September 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
Following your suggestion of the Nantwich burial, I'm now trying to get hold of an Internment certificate.  Not living in the area, I'm at a bit of a loss as to who to contact.
Have tried Nantwich Town Council, St. Mary's Church and Crewe Registry Office none of which can assist.
Any ideas?
Hoping this may show some extra detail.
Many thanks

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 September 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
As I understand it, you already have the image of the parish burial register. No other documentation for the burial will be available, unless there is a Nantwich Workhouse record at Cheshire Archives (unlikely -- see reply #12).

I believe the only option is to purchase the civil registration death certificate, although the information to be got from it may be limited (again as noted above -- replies ##12 and 21).

You can order the death certificate online from the General Register Office, using the index data posted in reply #12. Cost £9.25 including worldwide postage.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
(Please don't order it through any commercial 3rd party -- much more expensive and almost certainly slower.)

Offline strong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above conversation, I have now obtained a copy of the death certificate (attached).
I'm not sure it helps much, but am posting for any 'experts' to comment.
If this is 'my' Sydney, the birth date doesn't match. However, I have checked for Sydney/Sidney Strong births from 1860 - 1868 and this seems to be the closest. I had previously eliminated the one from Hampshire.
Adding to this, I have been unable to locate my Sydney in the 1911 census.
The only puzzle (to me) is why he would have been moved from Westminster to Nantwich.
Any ideas or comments?
Many thanks.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Where is the birth date on that certificate?

The only clue you have is his age at death (46) as reported by the informant (Workhouse Master).
Did this person actually know his age?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Where is the birth date on that certificate?

The only clue you have is his age at death (46) as reported by the informant (Workhouse Master).
Did this person actually know his age?
To the best of his knowledge  and belief  that was the age  that his records showed him to be.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich