Author Topic: John Reid Royal Scots Regiment died 1818  (Read 610 times)

Offline chuditch1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Reid Royal Scots Regiment died 1818
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 02:40 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more info on John Reid see below.
 he married a Mary MacIntosh. He and Mary went on to have 4 children in Nairn starting with Anne, born 18 Feb 1785 followed by William, born 10 Nov 1786 then James who was born on 4 Oct 1789 and finally Margaret, born on 20 Sept 1793. There is also a record of a William Reid, a private in the 93rd Regiment (the same regiment as James) marrying a Margaret MacPherson on 20 Nov 1807.
My husbands GGG Grandfather James Reid was Col Sgt in 93rd Sutherland Highlanders. I am trying to establish if his father was John Reid, mentioned above. James was discharged in 1819 via Kilmeinham Military Hosp Ireland due to ill health and i cant find any record of him or his wife after that. I also cant find a death cert/notice/parish record for John Reid. Any help would be appreciated :)
April 23.—"Died, at Delnies, near Nairn, on the 3rd inst. in the 104th year of his age, John Reid, supposed to be the oldest soldier in his Majesty’s dominions, having entered the service in the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Scots 88 years ago." There is a notice of this veteran in our notes of 1811. He fought at Dettingen, Fontenoy, Culloden, at Waal in Holland, and under Wolfe at Quebec. "At the peace of 1763 he was honourably discharged from the Royal Scots, and was appointed to the Independent Company of Invalids at Fort-George. About this time, being nearly 70 years of age, he took to himself a helpmate, by whom he had a family of sons and daughters, whom he brought up in habits of virtue and industry; three of his sons survive him, who are all in the army: his youngest, a young man of great promise, is a sergeant in the 93rd or Sutherland Highlanders. Reid was a native of Fordyce, in the county of Banff

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Reid Royal Scots Regiment died 1818
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 07:15 BST (UK) »
Is the April 23 entry from 1811?

Also, you should ask a moderator to move your question to the Armed Forces section.

Ken

Offline chuditch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Reid Royal Scots Regiment died 1818
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken will do. Also the Apr 23 entry is from 1818 The Northern Highlands in the Nineteenth Century
No. XII
There were a few newspaper accounts but all said pretty much the same thing.