Author Topic: Looking for map with house numbers, Lambeth  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Wood-dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for map with house numbers, Lambeth
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 13:01 BST (UK) »
It's a long shot I know but i'm hoping to find a street map of Lambeth showing the house numbers. I've looked at dozens but none show them. I'm looking specifically for the location of 51/50 Fore Street which was demolished in the early 1860s to make way for the Albert Embankment.

Any ideas welcome :)
Daltrey (Bow, London)
Wheatley (Poplar, London & Leicestershire)
Beadle (Lambeth, Surrey)
Millhouse (Poplar & Lincolnshire)
Pidwell (Limehouse, London & Falmouth, Cornwall)
Adam (Limehouse & Scotland)
Smith (Liverpool)
Allen (Liverpool & Dublin/Ireland)
Elms (Liverpool, London & Plymouth)
Thomas (Anglesey)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for map with house numbers, Lambeth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 13:23 BST (UK) »

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Where did the address come from?

Are you looking to identify where family lived?

If they lived at this address in a census you may be able to get a better idea of the location by following the enumerator's route and looking for streets and landmarks that are identifiable today or on maps of the time.

Details of the people and where and when you found them at this address may help us track it down.

Have you googled the street name? There seem to be quite a lot of hits for it, including photo/s.

Offline Wood-dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Excellent idea about following the route of the census person. I hadn't thought of that so will have a look later if I Ancestry will let me - I'm kicking myself because I used their free access weekend and scribbled endless notes but I saved very little to by tree/computer. Now that I need to look back at it, there's lots of records that I can't see. Lesson learnt!

The family I'm looking at have the surname BEADLE and it looks like they lived in (Upper) Fore Street for many years.

The earliest definite mention I've found is in 1818. William BEADLE is baptised on 27th November, son of John and Ann of Fore Street.

John may be the son of Daniel and Esther. Baptised 26 September 1784 in the parish of St. Mary, Lambeth. This is the same parish as Fore Street but I haven't made any mention in my notes about Fore Street so I think the record doesn't list the street.

Daniel BEADLE of Fore Street was buried on 29th June 1828 aged 65. He was born about 1763. As he may have just been in Fore Street at the time of his death in 1828, I'm taking William's birth in 1818 as the earliest mention of Fore Street that I can be sure of.

Ester BEADLE was buried 7th November 1852 in the parish of St. Mary's, Lambeth aged 90! She was born in 1760.

Now, going forward in time from Daniel's death in 1828, the next mention I have is the 1841 census when William (aged 20, a fisherman) is living in Upper Fore Street with his wife Jane (20) and son Charles (3). William's brother (I think) Henry lives next door.

In the 1851 census, William is living at 51 Upper Fore Street. He is a fisherman aged 34 and is a fisherman. Also listed are wife Jane (33), Chas, James, Alfred and William. Brother Henry lives next door still.

The latest mention I have is from the 1861 census and shown as 51 (and my scribbled notes also say 52 but I can't remember why - I think it's because Henry is still living next door but I'd have to look at the census record again to be sure). William is listed as being 43 and living there with his wife Jane and children Alfred, William, George, Jane and Ellen. William is a barge breaker.

I can't find any trace of them in the 1871 census but they would have left Fore Street by then bcause it was all demolished to make way for the Albert Embankment. There is a William Beadle living in Tyers Street but I don't think this is the right one as he has a wife, Elizabeth and I'm sure I found the same people in the 1861 census so it wouldn't be due to a remarriage.

I'm sure I also saw 50 Fore Street mentioned in some of the records but didn't make a note of which ones.
Daltrey (Bow, London)
Beadle (Lambeth, Surrey)
Smith (Liverpool)
Thomas (Anglesey)

Offline Wood-dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
PS: Yes, I've seen so many photos of it! For such an old street, it was well documented before it was demolished!
Daltrey (Bow, London)
Beadle (Lambeth, Surrey)
Smith (Liverpool)
Thomas (Anglesey)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 September 16 15:35 BST (UK) »
Upper Fore Street ran along the river bank south from Broad Street:
http://www.mappalondon.com/london/south-west/kennington.jpg
(zoom in on the area on the other side of the river from Millbank Penitentiary - Broad Street is in line with the word Millbank)

No numbers I'm afraid but number 51 was at the northern end of Upper Fore St somewhere between Broad Street and York Wharf. Both of those streets are marked on the above map.

Just to clarify, the Beadles address in the 1861 census was 51-52 Upper Fore Street.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 September 16 16:02 BST (UK) »

The latest mention I have is from the 1861 census and shown as 51 (and my scribbled notes also say 52 but I can't remember why - I think it's because Henry is still living next door but I'd have to look at the census record again to be sure). William is listed as being 43 and living there with his wife Jane and children Alfred, William, George, Jane and Ellen. William is a barge breaker.

The property number is 51-52.  Henry is not next door
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wood-dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much :-) I suspected they lived up that end of the street.

ETA: Actually, now that I look at it properly, it's not the part I was expecting at all! I hadn't managed to find a map which labelled the Upper and Lower parts of Fore Street and I'd assumed it was the other way round (though obviously, Upper is upstream now I think about it). Very interesting - thanks.
Daltrey (Bow, London)
Beadle (Lambeth, Surrey)
Smith (Liverpool)
Thomas (Anglesey)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 September 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
I thought the same as you regarding Upper Fore Street Wood dweller. Looking at the map, Upper Fore Street is in the south (and towards the mouth of the river), and Lower Fore Street is in the north (ie up stream). I would have expected them to be the other way round.  :)