Author Topic: Lookup: Innes Armour Liberton  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Lancaster32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup: Innes Armour Liberton
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
I've traced my family back to Thomas Innes b 1802 and Marion (or Mary) Armour b 1808.
They were married 17-2-1826 (see attached).
Apart from Marion's father being James Armour I have hit a brick wall!!
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup: Innes Armour Liberton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      Looks like she died in 1873 at Liberton there is a death on SP for a  Marion Innes  ms Armour .

SP is a very reasonable site £7 for 30 credits  1credit to find death and 5 to download the cert. which you will be able to view there and then .

On the cert it should tell you her parents names who registered the death and whether Thomas was deceased or not .

Looks like Thomas died in 1866 also in Liberton --

Hope this helps

Offline Fifer66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lancaster,

Info which may be of use.

Marion Armour born 08/04/1808 at Liberton. Parents - James Armour and Mary Bishop.

Thomas Innes born 20/09/1801 at Liberton. Parents -  John Innes and Margaret Bee. Different year of birth however may be same person.

Thomas Innes family found on 1841 & 1851 census in Liberton, however Thomas's wife recorded as Mary not Marion? Again, may be same person. This Innes family in 1851 census were living in Drum St, Liberton and had 8 children living with them, first born in 1828. Hope this helps.
Fife - Anderson, Farquhar, Graham, Greenhill, Hume, Paton, Sharp, Penman, Birrell, Christie
Edinburgh / Midlothian - Graham, Watt, Cunningham, Hume, Kerr, Farquhar, McAlpine, Weddell, Stirling, Liddell, Eckford, Finnie
Queensland, Australia - Greenhill
NSW, Australia - Anderson
California, USA - Watt
Alabama, USA - Watt
Missouri, USA - Farquhar
Quebec, Canada - Campbell
Alberta / British Columbia, Canada - Anderson

Offline Lancaster32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 September 16 12:59 BST (UK) »
Fifer66 & Jessie 46,
Thanks for your leads. :)
I'll chase up the BDM certificates and see where it leads me.
Again, Many thanks.

Offline Lancaster32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 September 16 15:01 BST (UK) »
Just retrieved Marion's Birth (1808) & Death (1873) certificates and her parents were James Armour and Marion Biship.
As for Thomas I have 2 possibilities:
1) Thomas born abt 1809 (I cannot find a BirtCert) d 13-10-1866(57) (I have the DeathCert) parents John Innes & Mary Armour - strange that this is the same name as his wife, perhaps a mistake.
2) Thomas Born 11-9-1801 (I have a BirthCert, but cannot find a Deathcert), parents John Innes & Margaret Bee

I'll keep digging.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 September 16 18:32 BST (UK) »

Hi Lancaster 32,
The information on the certs . is only what the person who registered the death gave and I have found a lot of mistakes when researching.
I have had a lot of research in Gilmerton area and your Thomas Innes was on a copy of 1861 census I have.
He was transcribed as 80 years old on it but was 60
Liberton -- Gilmerton.

Thomas Innes aged 60  Coal Carter born Liberton. This would make him born c1800/1801

Mary Innes wife  aged 56 born Gilmerton

James son unmarried aged 24 Coal Carter born Gilmerton

Thomas son unmarried aged 22 Coal Carter  born Gilmerton

Isabella daughter unmarried aged 20  ------ born Gilmerton

David son unmarried aged 18 -- Coal Carter born Gilmerton.

Personally I think this is your Thomas -- perhaps you would get back to us and let us know what you find out.

suzilad

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 October 16 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Lancaster32,

I am sure your Innes part of the Tree were Carters in Gilmerton ( Edinburgh ) they erected the Row of buildings on the right hand side of Drum Street as you head towards Dalkeith, at the end of the buildings is a Garage but at that time it was the large house of a Miss Innes.

Sunnyside is now the Clubhouse of Liberton Golf Club, the house itself is really nice, there is really nothing left of Greenend anymore it used to be a small Village at one time.

Innes made their fortune in transporting Coal but the major one was Yellow Sand, Gilmerton had a Sand Pit somewhere and the Sand was used for the floors of the kitchens in the large houses in Edinburgh, seemingly it was well saught after and the Innes Carts were in and out all day, they say the cry in the streets was " Yellow Sand-Yellow Sand.

Archie.   

Offline Lancaster32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 October 16 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Archie,
I have found Miss Innes listed in documents, but as her first name is not listed it id difficult to find a link to David, or his son Thomas.
Cheers,
Paul.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 October 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
My PENTLAND ancestors were tenant farmers at both Sunnyside Mains and Little France for many years. Below are some misc-refs in my files which probably relate to your family.

I cannot vouch for their accuracy, but I suspect your Marion Armour is Marion Armour b 9-2-1808 Liberton to James Armour & Mary Bishop. The family is in the IGI. Hopefully when you checked it out, all will become clear.

As far as I can see there is no familial connection with my PENTLANDs although George KNIGHT (my 5x-gtgdfather) is recorded as a Publican in the parish of Liberton in 1787 and his gdson, also George KNIGHT, was a publican at Little France in 1841; another relly, Andrew GRAY, was publican at Kirklands Liberton in 1828. So while I have recorded association between them and your James ARMOUR, they all must have known each other's families.

ISABELLA ARMOUR Birth: 24 JUN 1810  Gilmerton, Liberton, Midlothian Parents:  JAMES ARMOUR  MARY BISHOP

James Innes Birth: ABT 1810 in Midlothian?
Isabella Armour b: ABT 24 JUN 1810 in Gilmerton, Liberton
Dates above are palpable nonsense,.
Married: 10 MAR 1826 in Sunnyside Mains, Liberton
Children
Mary Bishop Innes b: 23 NOV 1826 in Sunnyside Mains, Liberton, Midlothian
John Innes b: 28 JUL 1828 in Craigs, Liberton, Midlothian
James Innes b: 30 JUL 1830 in Little France, Liberton, Midlothian
Helen Armour Innes b: 20 DEC 1832 in Little France, Liberton, Midlothian
Isabella Innes b: 22 FEB 1835 in Little France, Liberton, Midlothian
Anne Innes b: 10 MAR 1837 in Bridgend, Liberton, Midlothian
Thomas Innes b: 14 APR 1839 in Bridgend, Liberton, Midlothian
Sarah Innes b: 14 MAY 1841 in Bridgend, Liberton, Midlothian
David Innes b: 28 JUL 1843 in Bridgend, Liberton
Robert Innes b: ABT 1848 in Liberton
Willaim Innes b: ABT 1850 in Liberton
Isabella Innes b: ABT 1852 in Liberton
Alexander Innes b: ABT 1854 in Liberton

Also: "Hood : Mary Daughter to David Hood and Jane Steele at Carthall was born 21st Septr and baptized 12th Octr 1823 Witnesses James Armour and David Pentland" - Liberton OPR 1823.

"Balks : Andrew : Andrew Balks and Violet Armour : Gilmerton : 30-10-1810 : 10-12-1810 : Andrew Grubb and Wm Pentland.". Included here by virtue of the Armour surname, the place, and the eternal recurrence of William as a witness.
"So far as I can see Andrew Balks and Violet Armour had only two children; Helen in 1805 and Andrew in 1810 and the only Violet Armour which that could have been was the wife of James Armour with who she had four children between 1794 and 1800 so this suggests she remarried. The witness Wm Pentland is most likely to be the husband of Alison Armour, from the other Armour family. I have always believed Violet and James Amour to be related although naming patterns don't suggest they were cousins."