Author Topic: United Steam Tug Co. Ltd., Liverpool  (Read 944 times)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
United Steam Tug Co. Ltd., Liverpool
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 15:04 BST (UK) »
I have traced by g.g.g.grandfather as Mate on steam tug "United Kingdom" No. 21054, in 1870.
William Evans, born Runcorn 1813.

Does anyone have any information on the company or the tugs? He married a young lady aged 21 in 1868 and I cant trace what happened to her. Would the  United Steam Tug company ltd, of 9 Chapel Street, Liverpool, have records of their address in 1870, or would she have had a pension from the company? The Master on board was William Griffiths.

Any help very much appreciated.

Liverbird50.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: United Steam Tug Co. Ltd., Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:23 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 census, William is a Master Mariner Riverboat b.Runcorn 1813 -wife Ann + 4 children living at 20 Thornton Place, Liverpool.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
This painting might be of interest?
It shows the "United States" a sister tug to the "United Kingdom".
http://blueworldwebmuseum.org/item.php?id=309&catid=79&category=Steam_Ships&artist_id=58
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Paco,
thanks so much for the speedy and helpful response.
Yes, I have my ggggrandfather as you say on the 1861 census in Liverpool. His wife Ann, died in 1863 and William remarried Elizabeth Quirk, aged 21, in 1868, in Liverpool. William died in January 1872, I have his death certificate. However, I can find no trace of him and his new wife Elizabeth in any 1871 Census records. I just discovered that he was working up until 3rd December 1870 on the Tug "United Kingdom" on the Mersey. What I really want to discover is where he was at the 1871 census and what happened to his young second wife Elizabeth (nee Quirk).

Hence, I wondered if there were any records kept for 1870 by the United Steam Tug Company of his address or whether he would have had a pension for his wife, etc.

Its very good of you to give me what information you have found so quickly and it agrees with the information I have in his family tree, so thanks for that.

Just need to discover how and where they (William and Elizabeth) disappeared to in 1871. He died at the home of his daughter Sarah Ann Oldfield in Connahs Quay, Flintshire in January 1872, but was not there on the 1871 Census.

Thanks so much for reading my posts.

Regards.
Liverbird50

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much KGarrad,
What a wonderful picture, thank you for the link. Makes me feel proud of my ancestor, wasnt an easy job working the tugs in a very busy river. I suppose I always thought they just moved bigger ships in and out of the port, but appears to be much more to it and much more hazardous than I imagined.
Thanks again, one to print off and keep in the family archive.
Regards
Liverbird 50

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Maybe?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5B5-YB6

Right name, age and birthplace.
Occupation "Mate".

But in Pembrokeshire? ???
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 17:32 BST (UK) »
KGarrad
I cant thank you enough. You have found him!!! I have searched everywhere for such a long time, but you have found him in a few minutes. On Ancestry, which I use, they have misspelled his place of birth to Remcorn, so that didnt help my searching.

But he is there, as you say, as mate, still abord the vessel "United Kingdom", off Caldy Island. also tells me that he is married so his young wife was still alive then, but as he was away and they were only married for a couple of years before he died, not surprising I cant find another offspring from his second marriage.

Just cant thank you enough.
Immense privilege to get people searching so diligently. I should have come to Rootschat in the first place.

Kindest wishes
Liverbird50

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
Glad I could help! ;D

I actually did a search on FamilySearch for:
Name: William Evans
Birthplace: Runcorn, between 1812 and 1814.

First hit! ;)