Author Topic: Many Questions About DNA Testing  (Read 8289 times)

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Many Questions About DNA Testing
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 September 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
I agree that it is a good idea to start with an autosomal test, e.g. FTDNA's Family Finder. You should always start with your oldest living relative in a particular family line when doing a DNA test.

When you get your Grandfather's results upload them to Gedmatch (it is free), you might make more connections there.

In genealogy Y-DNA tests seem to be the most useful for tracing a particular family.

You should do at least the Y-37 test, but the Y-67 or Y-111 are better. You can check FTDNA to see if there is a project for your maternal Grandfather's surname. That can also lead to more info. Some projects offer discounts on DNA tests.

FTDNA has sales during the year but the best prices are usually before Christmas.

Since FTDNA has your Grandfather's DNA sample, it is easy to upgrade to new test.

Good luck.
Galway: Treacy, Egan, Boland, Flynn, Cahill
Cork: Hurley, Barrett
Donegal: Kelly, Diver

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 September 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
I agree that it is a good idea to start with an autosomal test, e.g. FTDNA's Family Finder. You should always start with your oldest living relative in a particular family line when doing a DNA test.

When you get your Grandfather's results upload them to Gedmatch (it is free), you might make more connections there.

In genealogy Y-DNA tests seem to be the most useful for tracing a particular family.

You should do at least the Y-37 test, but the Y-67 or Y-111 are better. You can check FTDNA to see if there is a project for your maternal Grandfather's surname. That can also lead to more info. Some projects offer discounts on DNA tests.

FTDNA has sales during the year but the best prices are usually before Christmas.

Since FTDNA has your Grandfather's DNA sample, it is easy to upgrade to new test.

Good luck.

I agree with all saying that FTDNA is the perfect choice. I'll buy it soon and have my grandfather to take it. The autosomal test is perfect for all the family, and it's cheap.

Thank you.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 September 16 09:07 BST (UK) »
My only experience is of Y DNA testing and I considered it to be an offshoot of traditional genealogy where, after many years of research, I have hit brick walls in every direction.  I am finding the results utterly compulsive and such a lot to enjoy and learn!

If you do become interested you will be looking at initial test costs and then in order to progress you will need to upgrade and then maybe upgrade again.  In order to minimise testing duplication current thinking is to order just the FTDNA Y DNA 12 STR marker test in order to give you a base haplogroup.  Then test FTDNA Big Y (v expensive) and have the results analysed by YFull ($49).  FTDNA have sales and promotions and you can get a discount by ordering your tests through a project e.g. surname project, British isles by County etc.  Big Y tests for hundreds/thousands of both STR and SNP markers hence my comment about testing duplication.  You don't want to pay for an 111 STR market test, then get hooked and decide you need Big Y after all.  It is not easy to find where you can order an FTDNA 12 STR marker test, but a project admin will help.

Good luck and have fun
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 September 16 13:26 BST (UK) »
RE:

My only experience is of Y DNA testing and I considered it to be an offshoot of traditional genealogy where, after many years of research, I have hit brick walls in every direction.  I am finding the results utterly compulsive and such a lot to enjoy and learn!

If you do become interested you will be looking at initial test costs and then in order to progress you will need to upgrade and then maybe upgrade again.  In order to minimise testing duplication current thinking is to order just the FTDNA Y DNA 12 STR marker test in order to give you a base haplogroup.  Then test FTDNA Big Y (v expensive) and have the results analysed by YFull ($49).  FTDNA have sales and promotions and you can get a discount by ordering your tests through a project e.g. surname project, British isles by County etc.  Big Y tests for hundreds/thousands of both STR and SNP markers hence my comment about testing duplication.  You don't want to pay for an 111 STR market test, then get hooked and decide you need Big Y after all.  It is not easy to find where you can order an FTDNA 12 STR marker test, but a project admin will help.

Good luck and have fun

I agree that Y-DNA testing can be very expensive. I have tested up to Y-111 and had the Big-Y. I had my Big-Y results analyzed at YFull, FCG, Alex Williamson & James Kane for his Matrix. The  latter 2 analyses are free.

I mentioned I also had an autosomal test and uploaded those results to Gedmatch for free.

Not everyone who has their DNA tested will go so deep into testing.

For Y-DNA results most people recommend the Y-37 test as the minimum level to show good results, but it depends on your particular DNA. I agree that joining surname projects helps in understanding Y-DNA results.

I have not been able to establish a connection with any of my Y-DNA matches other than my own family members who I have tested.

Most autosomal matches will be too far back in time to be able to know the connection. Knowing your ancestors names and place or origin helps figure out connections.

I have discovered a few new 3rd cousins from my autosomal test results and still recommend it as a place to start DNA testing.
Galway: Treacy, Egan, Boland, Flynn, Cahill
Cork: Hurley, Barrett
Donegal: Kelly, Diver

Offline DonnaA23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 September 16 02:06 BST (UK) »
How daunting is all this information. I have a headache after reading that  :D

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 October 16 08:40 BST (UK) »
I have sent off for the Autosomal Test from FTDNA at $US79-$AU124.

I assume when I get my kit I will be able to check whether I wish 37,67 or 111 markers? Or is that only for the YDNA test?

I am hoping more to see if there are any matches but also to engage with Name Studies on the FTDNA forums. Not overly fussed with the ethnic variations ( unless 1 specific one shows up!!). If so I will have to reconsider my family history. Which is the whole purpose of doing the test. It will either confirm or deny whether there was a NPE 2 generations ago. I wonder how this will change my view of family if it does. I have strongly identified myself with this name and its relative uniqueness.

I started genealogy as a puzzle to solve , like a jigsaw , putting all the pieces together so they fit. DNA testing is the next step in making sure I have the right pieces from the right boxes. If not now then in 30 years someone may be able to use mine to help them.

More news later. I cant wait.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 October 16 09:44 BST (UK) »
I have sent off for the Autosomal Test from FTDNA at $US79-$AU124.

I assume when I get my kit I will be able to check whether I wish 37,67 or 111 markers? Or is that only for the YDNA test?

37, 67 etc markers is the Y-DNA test.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 October 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
David the 37, 67 and 111 markers are only for the y-DNA test.

The autosomal test will not necessarily tell you if there was an NPE 2 generations ago. If you happen to find contacts you may, between you, be able to work out a possible connection and what may have happened.

You may find no matches at all with the unique name you mention.

Keep in mind that any results which point to an NPE may have come from an unknown and unexpected branch of the family.

With the "familyfinder" test, you do not know which side of your family any "cousin" matches come from.

Don't expect too much from it.

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 October 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
my contribution to this. Last year when I was looking at testing myself I read all the discussions on this Forum. I eventually decided to test with FTDNA, FF + full MtDNA. I don't regret a penny I've spent. I've knocked down some brick walls and discovered facts about 2 lines of my family that I didn't know.
My husband also tested about 2 months after myself, he did FF + Y to 67 markers. He also has a NPE 3 generations back on his paternal line. We knew the proposed surname from PR's, but didn't know that FTDNA had a project for this surname.  I hadn't even checked the name out
He matched them completely and FTDNA notified us of the match, there is a disclaimer that they will notify both parties of a close match.
 Satisfied customer so far, yes. I do have some matches that haven't knocked down their brick walls yet. It depends if any family members connected to you have actually tested, what results you receive.
Good luck to anyone proposing testing.

David, you pay up front for the tests you have selected, if you go for the higher ones on Y, they do  test  through the lower stages as well, and stop at 37, or  67, if that's all you have already paid for. You do have the choice to upgrade
Edit I see you have just paid for FF for now. Yes you will be able to upgrade to a Y test once they have received your sample, you have to flex your bank card again though.

Lemur41