Author Topic: Catherine (Hurley) Hayes of Killorglin  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Matador51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine (Hurley) Hayes of Killorglin
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 19:44 BST (UK) »
My GGM Catherine (Hurley) Hayes arrived in New Brunswick, Canada in 1827 with three sons, Thomas, Patrick and James. Her maiden name was Hurley and she arrived in Canada without her husband. I believe his name was Cornelius Hayes. Even today a woman would think twice before moving to an unknown land with three young boys the oldest being born in 1810. One or more may have died during the voyage. I have been unable to find any information or passenger list from any vessel. I believe it could have been the ship Diana.

I found information where a ship named Superb from Bristol to Quebec hit ice off Newfoundland and some of the crew was picked up by the ship Diana which was heading to Bay de Chaleur, New Brunswick which was where the Hayes family called home.

There is a record in the 1823 Tithe Applotment Books of a Cornelius Hayes with a tenancy in Coolbane of a house and garden house. He was charged a tithe of 10S for 2 roods. There is at least one other Cornelius Hayes name on record.

In addition, there is a 1808 marriage record of Cornelius Hayes of Laharn and Catherine Hurly in Killorglin. My GGF first name was Thomas but I am not sure what his middle name was. The births were recorded under the family name of Hea. Patrick and James information satisfy the Canadian records.

There was an Irish Repeal meeting in Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada in 1843 and Catherine and the three boys attended that meeting. She classified herself as a widow and their names are on page 139 of Erin’s Sons: Irish Arrivals In Atlantic Canada.

I’m told by relatives Catherine or her sons never talked about her husband Cornelius so I’m searching for information about him so I can complete our family tree.

I’ve done as much as I can here in Canada so I would appreciate any information which would help me in my search.

Any additional information could be the link which ties everything togeather.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Matador51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine (Hurley) Hayes of Killorglin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
I believe the Hayes family lived in the Laharn area of Killorglin County before something happened to Cornelius and she left for Canada with the children.

If something happened to Cornelius Hayes or Hea in the 1815 to 1827 time period would there be a record in the RC graveyard? I believe he was born in the 1775 to 1790 time period.

How many RC graveyards would there be in the area and what parish priest could I contact for information?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 16 13:29 BST (UK) »
Very few could afford a headstone, and RC burial registers are a rare, Killorglin doesn't appear to have one as it hasn't been transcribed here http://www.rootschat.com/links/01idp/

Here are some transcripts which you can see by the dates there is very few from the period you need
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/tombkillor.html

Offline Matador51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Would there be any newspaper archives from the early 1800s that would record events? I seem to have reached a road block.

What could I gain by traveling to Killorglin to do some research?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
You've hit the same road block everyone else does. It's not many can get back to the early 1800s in Ireland, so in that sense you are one of the lucky ones.

Not many Kerry newspapers that early https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/
Kerry Evening Post looks the earliest 1813 - 1917
There could of course be other sites.
Have you any reason to believe the Hayes family were anything other than tenant famers? Unless they were people of means most people only made it into the newspaper when they ended up in court. Not necessarily anything serious, cattle straying onto the public road would be enough. An accidental (if considered interesting) or violent death should of course have been reported.

Offline Matador51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
I can't claim they were rich but they were not destitute.

My GGF Thomas Hayes could write and read for sure. In Canada, he and his son my GF acted as a justice of the peace officers. There are numerous copies of land transfer deeds with their names on them. My GGF arrived in Canada when he was 17 so he must have had some education in Ireland.

The family house still stands and it was quite big. His brother Patrick started a business but all three boys classified themselves as lumbermen.

My father & GF liked politics and my father said when he wrote a letter to the authorities they listened.

They came in 1827 before the famine so the Penal laws could have had more of an influence. Did a lot of people leave because of the Penal Laws.

A lot of people in New Brunswick, Canada came before 1827.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
Sounds like there was an established route to the New Brunswick area, you will find people from an area would follow family and neighbors who had emigrated earlier, people still do that today.
This may have been the case here, what happen to Cornelius and why they decided to go might not be possible to establish.
This site is worth a look, it belongs to a private researcher which I know nothing about but the piece below is interesting.
http://mykerryancestors.com/kerry-emigrants-go-1800s/

The Famine by the way was the second famine there were two others one earlier not as well remembered today in 1740-41 and a  later one in 1879.

Right up to today there has always been reasons to emigrate from Ireland, it's part of what we are we have been doing it for so long. Thankfully many of us also get the chance to come home again now.

Offline Teresa Keene

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have recently found family in the US that I had no idea existed and have been able to find out a bit of my ancestral history.
It seems my GGGF was one Richard Costello born circa 1864 in Newfoundland. He married a Johanna Hunt.
The information I have been given shows Richards Father was James Hayes born in Ireland, married to Catherine Hurley. None of this makes sense to me.
There is also a Cornelius Hayes married to Julia Minahan.
Would my Catherine fit into any known information that anyone here has?
Thanks in advance

Offline Matador51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
If I can't find info concerning Catherine Hurley or the children's birth should I assume I'm looking in the wrong parish or county?

She was born in 1790 and my GGF, Thomas Hayes in 1810.