Author Topic: Sanders death St Helier circa 1850-1860  (Read 1134 times)

Offline gaygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Sanders death St Helier circa 1850-1860
« on: Thursday 01 September 16 02:09 BST (UK) »
I have Edward Sanders living  at 58 Pier St St Helier in the 1851 Census but then lose track of him.
He was born 1795 in Hemyock Devon and moved to Jersey around 1840 .  He was a Portrait Artist  and his wife Mary died in January 1851.
I presume he died between 1851 and 1861 as I cant trace him on a census in 1861.
Is there an online headstone site for St Heliers?
Any help  I would be grateful.
Reseraching - Gibson Flannagan Chiverton Ellwood Limbrick Hobbs Baldock Law Payne Sanders Cartwright Beard Tanner Hall

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sanders death St Helier circa 1850-1860
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 September 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

The short answer is no. There are sites with photos of gravestones but they aren't indexed.

I'm going to the Archive this afternoon and will see what I can find.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have an update for you.

I came across a death for Edward Coombes Sanders on 7th Jun 1861. (St Helier deaths, May 1860 - Dec 1861, Vol 14, page 61) but this appears to be his son as he was only 32Y 7M old. I could not find a death for any other Edward Sanders between 1851 and 1861.

However, as his death is in Jun 1861, and the 1861 census was done in Apr (which he's not on), where was he in the intervening months? Perhaps his father was with him?

I came across a number of people with the second name Coombs or Coombes but with the surname Saunders. Perhaps the surname has been recorded incorrectly by the enumerator.

Where did the son Robert go after 1851?

I also saw the death of Mary Coombs Sanders on 4th Jan 1851, wife of portrait painter.

So I think I need to expand the search for a death to include the surname Saunders and beyond 1861 which I will do next week when the Archive re-opens. I will also find where Mary Coombs Sanders is buried.

Stewart

PS It's 58 New St. not 58, Pier St.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well I'm sorry to say that despite expanding the search from 1851 to 1871 and including the name Saunders, I have not been able to find a death for Edward Sanders.

Now I found the following comment on a web-site:

CHARLES ROBERT SANDERS was born 1861 , Clapham Surrey. Parents, Robert Coombe Sanders , Leonora Hall. There were five sisters born after Robert. Emily, born 1867 Islington, Florence born 1870 Middlesex, Maude born 1871 Islington. Leonora born 1875 and Betrice Louise born 1879 born Southwark.

So if the son Robert was living in the London area c 1861 to 1871 then it might be worth looking in that area to see if the father was living with the son.

Stewart

Offline gaygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 01:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions.
I have a birth certificate for Charles Robert Sanders born in January 1861 and  his place of birth  looks like  Hater Lane,  Dulwich Rd. Brixton.
By the date of the census in April Charles and his mother Leonora are with her parents on census night at 12 Lambeth Rd. Surrey but Robert Coombe Sanders  isn't with his wife and child.

Perhaps he was living at Hater lane and that lane wasn't in the census.
If someone knows how to look at the census by address perhaps that might answer the question.

As for Edward Coombe Sanders (Jnr) he died at St Helier on 7th June 1861 but he was married  with three children at the time.

Edward and Mary had three children who died within about three weeks which was probably due to an epidemic of some kind in 1838.  They were aged  8, 5 and 3 yrs.    How sad.

Thanks   Gay
Reseraching - Gibson Flannagan Chiverton Ellwood Limbrick Hobbs Baldock Law Payne Sanders Cartwright Beard Tanner Hall