Author Topic: Campbells and McDrummonds- same interchangeable surname?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbells and McDrummonds- same interchangeable surname?
« on: Thursday 01 September 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
I am jumping over to the Stirling board here as my research has led to wondering if my ancestor- Alexander Drummond- was actually a Campbell by birth, and in Stirling.

I have copied this from another board (hope I have permission to do this):

"This may be a possibility linking Campbells and Drummonds in my family. I was searching for an Alexander Drummond marriage and came across this one:

June 6, 1755 Alexander Drummond to Catherine Cameron in Stirling, Stirlingshire. It appears that this same marriage was entered (banns on June 6?) on July 5, 1755 in Logie parish, Perthshire which I believe is just a couple of miles away from the town of Stirling, Stirlingshire.

In the same Stirling batch number there was an Isobel Campbell or McDrummond marriage to an Alexander McIntosh on July 20, 1754. I can only guess that she was a sister of Alexander Drummond who married a year later but the ironic part is that she is named as "Campbell or McDrummond".

Is this evidence to prove that my Alex. Drummond also went by Campbell in Glasgow? If I could find a daughter named Mary born to Alex. Drummond and Catherine Cameron, it would help."

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells and McDrummonds- same interchangeable surname?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 16 06:06 BST (UK) »
Perhaps she was a widow. Married women in Scotland never "lose" their maiden name. If a Jean Smith marries a John Murray, her name will appear in legal documents as "Jean Smith or Murray".

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
That makes far more sense- she was probably a widow giving her maiden and married names when she remarried. Thanks for the insight, GR2.

Back to the children of Alexander Drummond and Catherine Cameron: I can find one daughter named Agnes born 1758 at St. Ninian's, Stirling.  No other children seem to appear in the 2 more prominent websites- SP and FS. Is there any other way I can find other possible children- if any existed? Write the parish church?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:10 BST (UK) »
Back to the children of Alexander Drummond and Catherine Cameron: I can find one daughter named Agnes born 1758 at St. Ninian's, Stirling.  No other children seem to appear in the 2 more prominent websites- SP and FS. Is there any other way I can find other possible children- if any existed? Write the parish church?

No point in writing to any Church of Scotland for information about anyone born or married before 1855. The reason for this is that all the surviving registers of the Church of Scotland were collected together in Edinburgh in 1855 at the start of statutory civil registration. These registers are the basis of the pre-1855 information on Scotland's People.

As for FS, it contains only indexes to the actual records, not original documents.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

If the people you are looking for in the 1750s/1760s are not in SP there is very little chance of finding them. Lots of baptisms were simply not recorded, and of those that were, some of the records were lost. There is a chance that there might be something in the St Ninians Kirk Session records - occasionally a Session Clerk notes a baptism or marriage there rather than in the parish register. The KS records will be coming online next year, or so I gather.

Did your Alexander Drummond own any land or houses? If so, he could be mentioned in the Registers of Sasines. The Sasines before 1780 have been indexed, and some counties' indexes were published, but I am not sure if there is an index for Stirlingshire as I have never looked for it. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=26232.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 September 16 22:12 BST (UK) »
I don't now if he owned land or a home. But the Sasines might be worth a try. Also- could it still be possible that Drummond belonged to a non established church? Nothing turned up in the R. Catholic parish records on SP, either, but then there were a few other churches at that time?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 September 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 00:41 BST (UK) »
This is tying in to my other thread on the Lanarkshire board so I will conclude my comments now. A search in a non established church is probably in order- I presume I have to write to other church archives in Scotland.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=755083.0

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 September 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
A search in a non established church is probably in order- I presume I have to write to other church archives in Scotland.

Records of some churches in various denominations are with the National Records of Scotland - see http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/church-records - this is also a good introduction to the whole topic. Others are held in local archives - see Stirling for example http://my.stirling.gov.uk/services/community-life-and-leisure/libraries-and-archives/archives/archives-catalogue/church-reccords  Still others are in various places or lost. As far as I know there are no baptism records for another Presbyterian denomination in St Ninians as early as the 1750s/60s

Have you looked at Catherine Drummond's baptism, 1758, on ScotlandsPeople? You may find clues there as baptism entries sometimes note that the child was baptised in another denomination.

Hope this helps.