Author Topic: birth details for Catharine Orde  (Read 2107 times)

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
birth details for Catharine Orde
« on: Sunday 04 September 16 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

Is anyone able to help me with a lookup for birth details for my ancestor Catharine Orde.  I think she  was born in Dalton Northumberland about 1667.  Her parents were Margaret Stokoe and John Ord, I have found various spellings of the surname Ord.  Catharine married Christopher Swindall at Hexham 25 Apr 1698.  The marriage details show she was daughter of John Ord of Barker House.  I'm also interested in any information on the Orde family from the Hexham/Haydon Bridge area. Catharine is my 9th great grandmother.  I appreciate any help.

Kind regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: birth details for Catharine Orde
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Dalton is in Whitley but unfortunately the records for Whitley Chapel don't begin until 1764 - they are on IGI from 1765.  I've looked at Hexham on freereg but nothing is showing up there for this lady.

There are other neighbouring parishes where she might be but a lot of Northumberland records don't go back that far.  Sorry to sound so negative.

How do you know her parents if you don't have a baptism?  Any clue as to which parish she might be found in would be useful as I could then do a look up for you  :)

Christine

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 16 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thank you so much for your response.

I have details of her marriage to Christopher Swindall at Hexham.  That information shows she was the daughter of John Orde of Barker House - I haven't been able to find out exactly where Barker House is.

I have found information regarding the Ordes of Barker house from the internet.  There is also information from "A history of Northumberland" by John Hodgson - this is where I found her mothers name.

My 8th great grandmother Barbara Swindall bapt 22 Mar 1708 at Haydon Bridge was daughter of Christopher and Catherine.  I have traced the generations back to Catherine and have found records etc to substantiate however haven't been able to find any bapt details for her.

When my 2nd great grandparents came to Australia in 1905 they brought a lot of family documents, photos, postcards etc with them (I have these). I was extremely fortunate to have a very close relationship with my great grandmother and as a small child loved listening to her talk about her life 'back home'.

They all seem to come from around Hexhamshire, Haydon Bridge Whitfield area with several later generations in Allendale, then Morpeth before coming to Australia.

Sorry to ramble on ;D - I really appreciate your help

Regards
Lynne

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 16 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

You were wondering about the location of Barker House ....

I know you said you have information about the Ord/es from the internet, but have you seen this:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iel/ which describes the location or Barker House as follows:
The Barker-house stands on a bank overhanging Ardley dene and the Ham burn, with three or four fine ash trees near the old grey-slated house. It was held in 1547 by John Swinburn, at a rent of 8s., and, with Litterage, Lillswood and other places, belonged in the seventeenth century to the family of that Richard Ord

Sadly, it is probably long gone.  :'(

Added: or.... maybe not ...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iem/
I think it appears today with another identity (and likely to be a new or much altered dwelling) as "Hall Farm" ....

Looking again ... Might Barker House be a place name rather than a house name?  :-\ The description above imples otherwise, but I have seen Hall Farm's address as "Hall Farm, Barker House" and on one map I looked at the words "Barker House" were the same size as the place name "Dalton", implying it is also a place name.  :-\

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 16 07:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that information Ruskie, I did see the part that describes Barker House and I tried to google Ardley Dene and Ham Burn but unable to find anything.  I although thought it may be a place name rather than a house name.

Something else I found when I googled Barker House was information on Northumberland county council site that said the street address for Barker House bungalow was C282 Whitley Chapel to Dipton Mill and the town address was given as Hexham.  I tried to find it on google maps but no luck.  I'm not sure what that actually meant  :-\

I didn't know of the possibility of it being Halls Farm so I will follow that up.

I have tried to get a copy of or view part of the book 'History of Northumberland' for more information.  I have been able to download to my kindle some history books which because of age are out of copyright (totally unrelated to this topic) but haven't been able to find anything on Northumberland.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. 

Regards
Lynne

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
Oh Wow  ;D  I just clicked on the second rootschat link - the first time I have seen anything relating to Barker House on a map :)  :)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
I just found this chat when I was searching Barker House trying to find present owner.  About 10 years ago on a visit from the USA a distant relative drove me by Barker House.  (We are both descended from John and Catherine's son Peter, brother to your Barbara.)   I would like to see it up close when I visit this fall.  Catharine Orde is my 7th great grandmother.
Have you found anything more since the last post?  I am going to Salt Lake City late fall and will put this baptism on my list to look for when I get tired of looking at German records.  Since no one else seems to have found it, I don't hold out much hope.
Are you familiar with the Google Wagonways maps?  I have been able to find many of the places ancestors lived using this site.  Barker House is on https://sites.google.com/site/waggonways/ny/85/ny8560
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
Here is Barker House on a side-by-side map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.9209&lon=-2.1273&layers=6&right=BingHyb

It is still called Barker House today and you can easily see it on this map, just a little north of Dalton
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=391706&Y=558134&A=Y&Z=120

No photos of it on Geograph, but there are some of the immediate surroundings including Ham Burn
https://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=502503
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jen
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.