Author Topic: Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands  (Read 2794 times)

Offline diesse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands
« on: Monday 05 September 16 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have an elderly friend here in Victoria, who is trying to verify that an ancestral home at Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands has a (don't know what to call it) note that the land "could never be sold".

The property is:
Property name: Highland.
Address: Le Mont Cochon Road,  Mont Cochon  ( Translation = Mount Pig. )
Location: Approximately five eighths of a mile north of Victoria Avenue (A 2)
Current Residents: Names removed by Moderator
Property size: Approximately 3 Hectares.  May be larger up to 6 Hectares

Is anyone able to help us?

Thanks,
Di
Badge, Butt, Brentnall, Cannon, Dixon, Esse (Main) Harcourt, Mahony, Moss, Mossop, Nickells, Sowerby, Vickers U.K/Australia/U.S.A.

Offline BVasselinBremness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
My ancestors lived at Highland - last year I went to Jersey and took pictures of it. It was in great disrepair. I am going back in August if you need any information.  I see your post was from long ago and am wondering who the friend was who was inquiring. 

Offline diesse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi BVasselinBremness,

Thanks for your reply - his last name was De La Haye I think.  I will have to see if I can find him, not sure if he has moved.

I will check his address when I am next down at the historical society in Hastings.

Cheers,

Di
Badge, Butt, Brentnall, Cannon, Dixon, Esse (Main) Harcourt, Mahony, Moss, Mossop, Nickells, Sowerby, Vickers U.K/Australia/U.S.A.

Offline BVasselinBremness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
This will be quite interesting as a De La Haye married my great aunt and they moved to Australia - perhaps the same family? It was Charles De La Haye who married Adelina Coutanche.  They immigrated to Australia about 1890 and had a large family. Most were born in Shepparton.  Charles father was a farmer of 18 acres on Mont Cochon Road. I believe it was his family who owned Highland - I will check my notes further.
Bev