Author Topic: Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands  (Read 381 times)

Offline diesse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands
« on: Monday 05 September 16 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have an elderly friend here in Victoria, who is trying to verify that an ancestral home at Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands has a (don't know what to call it) note that the land "could never be sold".

The property is:
Property name: Highland.
Address: Le Mont Cochon Road,  Mont Cochon  ( Translation = Mount Pig. )
Location: Approximately five eighths of a mile north of Victoria Avenue (A 2)
Current Residents: Names removed by Moderator
Property size: Approximately 3 Hectares.  May be larger up to 6 Hectares

Is anyone able to help us?

Thanks,
Di
Badge, Butt, Brentnall, Cannon, Dixon, Esse (Main) Harcourt, Mahony, Moss, Mossop, Nickells, Sowerby, Vickers U.K/Australia/U.S.A.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BVasselinBremness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mont Cochon, Parish of St. Helier Jersey Channel Islands
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
My ancestors lived at Highland - last year I went to Jersey and took pictures of it. It was in great disrepair. I am going back in August if you need any information.  I see your post was from long ago and am wondering who the friend was who was inquiring. 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline diesse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi BVasselinBremness,

Thanks for your reply - his last name was De La Haye I think.  I will have to see if I can find him, not sure if he has moved.

I will check his address when I am next down at the historical society in Hastings.

Cheers,

Di
Badge, Butt, Brentnall, Cannon, Dixon, Esse (Main) Harcourt, Mahony, Moss, Mossop, Nickells, Sowerby, Vickers U.K/Australia/U.S.A.

Offline BVasselinBremness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
This will be quite interesting as a De La Haye married my great aunt and they moved to Australia - perhaps the same family? It was Charles De La Haye who married Adelina Coutanche.  They immigrated to Australia about 1890 and had a large family. Most were born in Shepparton.  Charles father was a farmer of 18 acres on Mont Cochon Road. I believe it was his family who owned Highland - I will check my notes further.
Bev