Author Topic: Need burial place assistance Glasgow or Bo'ness  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Heath007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Roots Researcher
    • View Profile
Need burial place assistance Glasgow or Bo'ness
« on: Tuesday 06 September 16 02:13 BST (UK) »
My GGrandparents John Dick b. 1829 Bo'ness d. Jan 1868 in Glasgow,
his wife, Anne Kirkwood b. 1829 Bo'ness d. Oct 1872 Bo'ness.
Anne's parents are buried in Church Wynd Churchyard along with much family but I have found no record of John & Anne, is there another way to find out where they are buried? I contacted the council by email last week but I didn't even get a reply, I have searched all data online but nothing. They were provision merchants so I'm not sure if they had money for a stone as they died young and left 2 small children orphaned.
Dick, Kirkwood, Glass, Learmouth, Wilson, Hardie, Liddle, Spouart from Bo'Ness, West Lothian, Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Need burial place assistance Glasgow or Bo'ness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Heath,

It may help to say what Town/County "Church Wynd Churchyard" is to save needless effort.

Can you give us the addresses/usual residence at given time of death please & also who registered the deaths?

Family members may have buried them near their own homes?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Heath007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Roots Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 03:34 BST (UK) »
John & Anne lived in Glasgow at 120 Rottenrow and were provision merchants when he died, she stayed for a while and then went back to Bo'ness to stay with her brother in Haining where she died.
Their death record is the return of deaths I got from scotlandspeople.
Dick, Kirkwood, Glass, Learmouth, Wilson, Hardie, Liddle, Spouart from Bo'Ness, West Lothian, Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 03:45 BST (UK) »
Heath,

What was the actual address for Anne when she died & who were the informants of both deaths?

Both originated from Bo'ness so may well be buried there but as John predeceased Ann, he may be buried in Rottenrow?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Heath,

I'm unsure what you mean by "Their death record is the return of deaths I got from scotlandspeople"?

Do you mean the Index or do you have the actual certs?

Annie

Offline Heath007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Roots Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 03:57 BST (UK) »
They are statuatory deaths record - so a copy of the register's book page:
Ann Dick widow of John Dick (Grocer) Oct 18, 1872 South Haining, Bo'ness; 43yrs of age
informant was Alexander Kirkwood, brother, South Hainings, Bo'ness
Sickness cert by George Dallas Baird, Linlithgow.

John Dick Provision Merchant January 14, 1868 Central district Glasgow, 37 yrs
informant James Dick brother was present at death.
The address listed is 120 Rottenrow, Glasgow (Rottenrow is a street - not a town)

I am thinking that he may be buried in Glasgow or Bo'ness not sure which, I think she is probably in Bo'ness but this is what I meant....it's hard to say without burial records.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Heath,

With the info. you have, if you know their religion, it would be best to get in touch with their nearest church I would imagine who may have the records as you have all the exact dates etc.?

Annie

Offline Heath007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Roots Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't know what religion they were.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
With the info. you have, if you know their religion, it would be best to get in touch with their nearest church I would imagine who may have the records as you have all the exact dates etc.?

Probably much better to contact the relevant local authority as most burial grounds are now looked after by the local authorities, and most burial ground records are now held by them.

I would start with West Lothian Council and ask them if they have a record of the 1872 burial. It's much harder, and probably costlier, to get information from Glasgow council.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.