Author Topic: Nugent/Dempsey marriage  (Read 5520 times)

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nugent/Dempsey marriage
« on: Tuesday 06 September 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have found the following marriage on ancestry

John P Nugent/Jane Mary Dempsey
   Marriage place Johnstown Co.Kildare
   Date 7th November 1866
There is no image of the record.Could someone tell me where I might be able to view the original image.Being trying the NLI website but c'ant seem to find it.
Any help appreciated
Regards Gerry

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nugent/Dempsey marriage
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann
Thanks. The link to the parish you gave is one that I looked at but c'ant see it there.The information I would like to get would be name of John Nugents mother even a christian name to try link him to another possible family member.I know that her name w'ont be on the civil cert and may not be on the church record but would like to check.
Gerry

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann
I found the marriage in the parish of Carberry/Dunford without parents names.Thanks again.
Gerry

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
It's just possible but no guarantee that the mother's name could be on RootsIreland (subscription), seems to depend on where they did the transcripts from, the NLI images or the local church.
Most but not all mine have more information on RootsIreland.
Assuming they have the parish in question.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
Gerry,

Are these ancestors of yours?  They are my GG grandparents.

I believe I have found John's mother's name recently, but in a very roundabout way.  it is Mary Clarke.

John's father was named James and said to be of Rathcore, undoubtedly Meath.   James appears on the Tithes in 1826.  There were some famous evictions there in 1865.  Also, a murder in 1864, which, i believe John and his brother Thomas were arrested as suspects and held for a few days.

The evictions turned into a legal case, Clarke vs. Knox.  Thomas Clarke was said to be the uncle of two Nugent brothers. One of the old newspaper articles gives a timeline, something like:

"Nugent" takes up lease in 1826 (undoubtedly James)
Nugent dies about 1836.
Thomas Clarke then moves in with his sister, the widow, to help manage the land, in the interest of her sons.
His sister (undoubtedly named Mary, on 1852 Griffith's) dies about 1855.
Thomas stays on with the two brothers until the evictions in 1865.

Let me know, if any of that sounds right.  I'd be interested to learn more myself, if there is a connection.

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 16 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
My great fathers name was Patrick Nugent.He had a brother named James who married in 1863 in Dublin.On the marriage record his parents are given as James Nugent and Mary Nugent from Johnstown Co Kildare I have been trying to research Nugent families from Johnstown with a view to trying to find a baptism for my great grandfather

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Gerry,

That is quite interesting.  My own G grandfather, named Thomas Nugent, lived in Johnstown, Kildare, with a Luke Nugent, his brother.  This was at about the time of the 1901 census.  It seems like quite a coincidence, if it is the same Johnstown.

Do you by chance know what Johnstown it was?  I think there are at least two in Kildare.  The one where my G grandfather lived is right by the border with Meath in Cadamstown Civil Parish.

edit: I should say neither Jane nor John was from Johnstown or got married precisely there, but both where from nearby and got married nearby.

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 September 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I believe it is the same Johnstown.Patrick Nugent married in1858 in Moynalvey Co Meath not far from Johnstown (16 km).Ithink there might be connection between the Nugent families living in this area Kildare/Meath border.