Author Topic: David Mitchell 1677  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robert Mitchell circ 1809
    • View Profile
David Mitchell 1677
« on: Tuesday 06 September 16 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone..me again with another problem
Have established that Robert Mitchell - B 1809 was from Edzell,Angus, Scotland moved to Tasmania
Parents Robert and Helen (Christison) Mitchell - Edzell  B..1784
David and Jean (Myer) Mitchell - Montrose  B..1752
John and Jean (Stephanson) Mitchell - Montrose B..1728
David and Jean (Burnet) Mitchell - Montrose  B 1699
David Mitchell - Montrose  B 1677
My problem is cannot find wife,  for David  1677 , though I have tracked one Margaret Wilson though she is linked to a David Mitchill married in montrose with child David born at the same time..

Any ideas..mybe a typo with Mitchill ?

Thankyou once again
Tony

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Mitchell 1677
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 22:57 BST (UK) »
If you're asking whether the name 'Mitchell' could have been written as 'Mitchill' I'd say definitely yes.
And I don't think it would have been a 'typo' - have you checked the actual entry in the parish register?
In fact I'd say you have been very lucky to get to 1699 with the name name 'Mitchell' in tact!  :)
There must be many avenues for alternate spellings of it. Remember spelling was not set in stone, and I have even seen documents in which the same name has been spelt differently.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Goldie61..
I thought that but attached i can go better...
Dauid Mitchell  B-1633 Brechin  married Margret Ker
Son  James Mitchell -Brechin  B 1657  No wife found
Then David Mitchell - Brechin B 1677  No wife found other than  Margaret Wilson to David Mitchill
Then David Mitchell - Montrose  B 1699  married Jean burnet  at Montrose

cheers and thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't pay any attention at all to variant spellings of names.

What does worry me is whether or not you have actual evidence to prove the line as summarised. With a name as common as Mitchell, just using baptism and banns isn't enough as there could easily be other baptisms or banns of people with similar names missing from the surviving records. So unless you have some other evidence such as wills or sasines, or continuity of residence in the same farm, you have to treat any such line as provisional.

And published trees on any web site are ***not*** proof!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian..I appreciate your imput and do realise nothing is gospel unless the paperwork is in hand..Between Goldie61 and yourself it further cements my theory about the spelling...
All are from Montrose...David Mitchell Born 1699 married to Jean Burnet,  son John Mitchell Born 1728 married Jean Stephanson..Then David Mitchell Born 1752 married Jean Myer.. I have a copy of the parish record relating to David Mitchell and Jean Myer...Thanks everyone  Tony