Author Topic: Burial of 4 year old in 1868  (Read 3118 times)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of 4 year old in 1868
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 September 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
Alexander Gilmours
mentioned on both these sites

family search http://www.familysearch.org

and find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk (you have to pay to see some of these records on find my past)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 September 16 12:31 BST (UK) »
Please see your Private messages.
Maggsie

Maggsie,

Aghadowey and Hallmark are quite correct.

Sarah

It's not really a matter of being correct but we don't know what has or has not been found.

Do we spend time looking for stuff only to be told "Yes, this was found already" and "Yes, that was found already".

Or, if something has been found, then maybe add to that!

No one knows now what is what...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 September 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, sorry for delay with this.  The GROs haven't sent up any family connections I can make with the area or the lady that registered the death.

I may not be able to rule out he was buried back in Scotland until more detailed burial records come on line or I physically get down to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

If Alexander's father, William,  took him back for burial I'm pretty certain I know where.

Alexander's father, William Allan Gilmour, was a Merchant Navy captain.  I have toyed with the idea the family may have been sailing with him, but whether he still had his captains licence at that point is debatable.

William was the captain of a barque called the Stratleven that ran aground off the coast of Scotland in December 1867, just a few short months before Alexander died.  He was returning with a cargo of rum and sugar from Demerara when they hit rocks in Float Bay near Port Patrick.

The life boat at Port Logan was used for the very first time to rescue the crew.  The ship was barely a year old when it was lost.  I assume William would have been stripped of his Captains licence until a Board of Trade enquiry.

William died two months after Alexander's death in Donegal of nervous prostration at the family home of Watt Street, Glasgow.

William is buried in his grandfather's plot at Glasgow Cathedral and if they had taken Alexander's body back to Scotland I would expect to find him buried there also.  But the marriage was mixed, his mother RC and William I assume is UP.  So mother Helen may have put her foot down and insisted on a RC burial for her boy whether it took place in Donegal or Glasgow.

I have to say it's only the second time in my research I've come across a non relative register the death.  Maybe there are too many unknowns, were they on a holiday or just passing by boat and docked to seek medical help for Alexander.

I hadn't stopped either to think of them returning with the body to Scotland.  I suppose it was possible.  Should I close this thread until I've completely ruled out he wasn't buried in Glasgow? Don't want anybody thinking I'm ungrateful for the help so far or by leaving the thread open while I poke about other potential a to conclude the matter?

Edit: just read that Scotlandspeople website maybe adding non conformist Presbyterian parish records and Kirk session records after their new website is up and running.  Maybe able to rule out the burial at Glasgow Cathedral sooner than my visit to the Mitchell Library archives next year. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 September 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
No need to close the thread.

It was just that none of us knew what had been found and sent "Privately"...apart from you and whoever sent stuff privately!  If something was found, then others need to know what, not sending stuff by PM's as everyone else gets Snookered!

Not much point in others wasting time looking only to be told "that was sent Privately!"

On a Public thread, keep discoveries PUBLIC unless it is living relatives, or possibly a scandal!

For all anyone knew...the whole tree could have been found.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.