Author Topic: Trying to find the death of Samuel Adams  (Read 697 times)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find the death of Samuel Adams
« on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I hope you can help me please. Samuel Adams was a second cousin (removed several times) of mine and I am trying to find his death. Sometime between 1911 and 1921. He was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire in Feb, 1875 and came to Quebec in September 1909. He was a club steward in UK. In 1910 he was joined by his wife Gladys Cibelle nee Threlkeld and child Kenneth Adams. They are in Ville de Dorval, Montreal in 1911 and he is a chef there. In 1921 Gladys is a widow and a saleslady and she & Kenneth are in Regina, Saskatchewan. Eventually they moved to USA, where Gladys remarried and Kenneth married also.
Hope you can help me please.
Thanks
Helren

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the death of Samuel Adams
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
"Chef" is French for "Head" as in Head of Household; the census taken in Quebec was in French.  He is working as a steward at a club.   Given that you found Gladys and Kenneth in Regina, one might assume that they moved there as a family and that Samuel died in Saskatchewan.  I have not found a burial for a Samuel Adams in Quebec that is a match.

Saskatchewan has their death index online and I don't find Samuel there either.  When Kenneth crosses the border in 1923, he says he is 12 years of age and was born in Montreal.  He indicates his nearest relative in Canada is his father, Samuel Adams, in Regina, Saskatchewan, and he is being accompanied by his mother. This was at a border crossing at Eastport, Idaho.  Another record from the same day is that his nearest relative in Canada is his mother, Gladys. But I found the card for Gladys on the same day, and she also indicates her husband, Sam, in Regina is her next of kin in Canada.

So, perhaps Samuel didn't die but Gladys left him and took Kenneth to the US.  There is a Samuel Adams of the right age living in Vancouver in the 1921 census, working as a clerk(?) in a café. Born 1875 in England, immigrated 1909. Living as a lodger in a hotel.  There is a death record on familysearch.org in Vancouver dated June 18, 1935 for a Samuel Adams, aged 60 years, born England, died at the Central City Mission; informants were the police so no further info was available; ie, parents, etc.   He was buried at Mt. View Cemetery.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 September 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
The Regina City Directory for 1919 as Gladys listed in Smith Block (Rose Street).  Samuel first appears in the Vancouver directory in 1921 as well working as a waiter, living at 42 East Cordova. Directory of Vancouver has Samuel working as a caterer and living at the Mission just before  his death.

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 September 16 19:45 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - thank you very much. Sorry about the "chef" mistake - should have realised, probably would have if I hadn't believed him to be in the hotel business.
Best wishes

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
Harry Victor Kerr, Gladys' later husband, also was resident in Regina and crossed the border in 1923:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KF6Z-VFN

The plot begins to thicken:

He appears to have been born in England and married there in 1897 to Sarah Ann Youngash.  I think this is them coming to Regina in 1913, with son Norman Victor Kerr b. 1904:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2HLT-8TV

They appear to be in Doncaster in 1911 (but not Norman? Not sure - only looking at free index). They arrive in Canada with Harry and Winifred Harper - Winifred is nee Youngash, married in Doncaster in 1912, so presumably these are brother and sister in law.

Norman heads to the US in 1927, in transit to Vancouver, mother Sarah was still in Regina at this point:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KF6Z-KQL

Do you have an actual date for the marriage of Harry Kerr and Gladys Adams nee Threlkeld?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everything. No I don't have a date for their marriage as they are neither of them related to me directly I haven't really tried.
I have found that Norman returned to Regina and is buried there at Riverside Memorial Park Cem. in 1989.
Best wishes Helen