Author Topic: Roslin Beadnell  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Roslin Beadnell
« on: Thursday 08 September 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
Can anyone with local knowledge of Beadnell please tell me if they know of, or if there once was a house or location at Beadnell called "Roslin".

My 2 x great grandfather Richard John Johnson died at "Roslin" Beadnell on the 20 February 1940 aged 87, he was a retired farm labourer. I have scoured a number of old maps including some that might give individual building names, but thus far without any luck. I want to try and track down his grave.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roslin Beadnell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
I can not help on that specifically but a suggestion

look at the spelling Roslyn as well as Roslin. I say this as I have two great great grandparents who died in Hamsterley, Durham in 1942 and 1943 and on one of their death certificates it is spelt Roslin and the other Roslyn. The difference is what is on the original registers as the clerk had corrected the spelling on one of them so the two agreed and the superintendent had her do it again so that they were faithful copies of the original. It might help you locate the place maybe
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 September 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip.
  The registration of Richards death states death as in Northumberland North First, cant find it on any old records of it being Beadnell ,but many of the areas have been changed over the years, but definately was or is  in Northhumberland .. Dolly
 ps    there are a number of Roslin avenues, parks,  etc'in  the area too.so it was Roslin.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 September 16 23:39 BST (UK) »
Philip I have found this, Newcastle Journal  2 March 1940
         Johnson.29th  February age 87 Richard Johnson
         Interment at LUCKER CHURCHYARD
                    Sunday March 3rd at 2oclock
        Accept this the only Intimation.
                                                               Dolly

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 September 16 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies thus far.

Wonderful find Dolly, thank you. I was hoping to find out where he is buried. I am assuming "Roslin" was a named house at Beadnell, but no maps show the name. I searched through the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census's property by property hoping to find mention of the name but no such luck.

I also had to amend his date of death because the writing on the DC is difficult to decipher, but it is 29 Feb 1940.

His wife was Mary nee Grey / Gray, and she died 30 November 1937 at Adderston Low Mill Farm Cottages aged 88. I wonder if they are buried together?

I shall now have to make a return to Lucker. In the past Richard's father was a Platelayer based at Lucker on the main line.

Thanks very much!

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 September 16 01:20 BST (UK) »
This is a picture of the man himself.

P

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 September 16 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think Roslin was the name of a house, he is there in 1939. Near a house called Farnecroft and near Longstone Crescent so possibly on Harbour Road? There is a holiday cottage named Farnecroft and also a Farne Cottage (all from google, I do nt know the area)
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 September 16 18:15 BST (UK) »
  Philip, glad to be of help,  you have posted so much info and photos on the Northumberland page,
so I am happy that I could return some to you.
   Happy hunting when you do go to Lucker. 
                                              Dolly

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 October 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Well! Wouldn't you know it.

I went to visit my mum and dad and got to talking about the relatives at Beadnell and the 'Roslin' property, and my dad just nonchalantly said "Oh, is it the cottage on the front, on the road down towards the harbour? My mum took me there to see one of her cousins".

Of course it happened my years ago when father was just a boy, he can't even guestimate the year it was, but he was old enough to remember being taken there. Dad also remember getting changed and heading off over the road to go play on the rocks and the beach with his younger brother. I would assume that the cousin was one of Richard John Johnson's daughters, he perhaps stayed with one of his daughters after his wife died in 1937 until his own death in 1940.

Blew my socks off that. Really. I have been wracking my brains for ages trying to work it all out and then if only I'd mentioned it to dad sooner. Surprising the bits and pieces of info floating around in his head, but he hasn't had need to recall it before now, besides why would he because he can't tell me who the family were that he went to visit.

I'm glad between us and with help on here that we have managed to at least get the straight of it. Now I want to find out who grandmother's cousin was at the house 'Roslin' which would have been late mid 40s - mid 50's.

Just letting you know how the subject is unfolding here at home.

Thanks again

P