Author Topic: Old Photos from a Taranaki photographer have been digitised! 1923 onwards.  (Read 1319 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Old Photos from a Taranaki photographer have been digitised! 1923 onwards.
« on: Friday 09 September 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
Today on Stuff, there is an article about the digitisation of many old photos of families, all originally done by a professional photographer.

These have been digitised by people on behalf of a local Taranaki Museum, Puki Ariki Museum, and can be viewed online.  If you have family from Taranaki, they're certainly well worth a look! 

I thought they were named, but it appears that the majority are not. But you may recognise someone!

Here's a link to the article

Faces of our own history http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/83985573/The-future-of-our-history-is-in-the-hands-of-Puke-Ariki-museum?cid=app-iPad

You might need to chop that "cid=app-iPad" off from the end of the link, but give it a go first, it may be because I am doing this from my iPad.

Hope this might be a little treasure chest for some people!  Unfortunately, I don't have any family interests from the area  :( :(

Cheers and good luck
Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Photos from a Taranaki photographer have been digitised!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Got myself all excited then but the collection dates from 1923 onwards and my people were much earlier  :(
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old Photos from a Taranaki photographer have been digitised! 1923 onwards.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 September 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry christeen, I should have indicated that.  I've changed the title and added in that important detail.

Cheers
Jeanne 🌺
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 17 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanne, I found photos of both my parents when they were younger, including my Dad and his older sister (born same day but one year earlier), taken just a couple of days before their first and second birthday respectively. That was the last photo of his sister as she was run over by a truck on their birthday. So sad.

Hope you are keeping well and enjoying your new abode.
BELL - Crumlin / Glenavy / New Zealand
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 17 08:28 GMT (UK) »
So pleased you were able to make a find SpudKiwi!  Great stuff! 

Yes, thank you, I'm currently really enjoying my new abode, been very busy cleaning up inside and redecorating, and clearing the very neglected grounds and gardens!  I've been taking a wee break with my brother and his family in Tauranga!  We (my son and his family) came up on Boxing Day,but  I'm heading back home tomorrow, so will be back into the hard work! 

Have had lovely weather, and fed very well - had a big family gathering last week, when my 2 nephews and their families arrived from Auckland, another one and his partner from Australia, my son and his family from Masterton ( who had driven me up here) my brother, his wife and their 4 sons and 2 chn.  Been kids everywhere - it's been great!  The only ones who couldn't come were my daughter, Grandaughter and her Partner from Wellington.  My Grandaughter is about to present me with my first great Grandchild on the 15th, so was better for her not to travel so far from home at this time.

My brother and his wife are heading back to Wellington to catch up with his wife's sister and family, so I'm hitching a ride back.  I've had a super time, eating all this time up here, with 2 chefs in the family - I've been really spoiled! 

Hope you have a superNew Year!

Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections