Author Topic: Renton Family in Mordington, Eyemouth, Ayton, Coldingham, Foulden  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Lovis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Renton Family in Mordington, Eyemouth, Ayton, Coldingham, Foulden
« on: Friday 09 September 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about a Renton family headed by James and wife Jane (nee Bell) with children from Robert in 1808 to Bell in 1831? I think one son James moved to London, marrying a Margory Gordon but naming his daughter Helen Smart Renton. Why Smart?This dtr is recorded as niece to the youngest son Alexander in the 1881 census at St Johns Farmhouse in Eyemouth. Another son George appears to have done well enough locally as a carpenter and then as a proprietor of houses, to educate his two sons. James, who calls himself James Renton Junior (why?) was a solicitor in Edinburgh (joint bankrupt in 1878 with partner Robert Gray) and John was an accountant, builder and quarrymaster (he became bankrupt in 1874 and again in 1883). John spent some time in Lancashire where he married his wife, dtr of the head of the printing firm where he was the accountant (he and his father-in-law were joint bankrupts in 1883). Thanks for reading this, and for any help you can give me on my two queries, plus any more you know about the family.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Renton Family in Mordington, Eyemouth, Ayton, Coldingham, Foulden
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 July 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
James and Jane are buried in Chirnsides

The stone reads

By James Renton farmer Eyemouth 13.2.1849 63yrs, son Robert late tenant in St John's  5.6.69 60yrs, day Barbara 5.1.70 57yrs, wife Jane Bell 21.8.75 88yrs, day Bell Renton 27.12.82 51yrs, son Alexander at Duns Bridge End 19.2.1903 74yrs

Offline Lovis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information. It's good to tie a few things up. Do you know if any descendants of the family has any photos of these people?

Thanks again for your post.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
Not related I saw you post and checked my MI  books  and it showed up  - Renton as common name in the Scottish Borders

As for photos - your search may be doubtful as photography was in its infancy in mid 1800's

Offline Lovis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks anyway. I hoped that there might be photos around 1860 onwards of the son John Renton (not buried with his parents) and his descendants. Probably a vain hope. But a photo of say, Alexander Renton who was buried, according to your information, in 1903, could be useful too.