Author Topic: Joanna (Johanna) Clark Birth 19 MAR 1813 • Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland  (Read 2613 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for any info on Joanna (Johanna) Clark Birth 19 MAR 1813 • Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland

She is daughter of

Donald Clark (Schoolmaster in Petty)

1785–1853

Jane Campbell

1789–1869

I know she was baptized 24 Mar 1813 in Petty and appears in the 1841 and 1851 census in Petty at the schoolhouse with above parents.  Nothing afterwards.

Some family came to Canada but nothing in arrivals or deaths here in Canada to indicate she made the trip

Thanks
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joanna (Johanna) Clark Birth 19 MAR 1813 • Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for a marriage for her on Scotlands people?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
There is this possible 1861 census entry in Canada https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQQ2-Y3Q This Johan shows as single on the actual entry.

1861 census entries don't have much detail unfortunately. The line above this Johan also has a Jane Clark, 33 b. Scotland.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
The Canadian census of 1861 seems to sort of fit.  Johan was a bit off from the name but that often happens.  Middlesex makes sense as others were in that area at that time.  Age fits. 

Jane is the challenge.  There is a sister Jane but she was born in 1815 and so age is off.  Again, errors do happen.  Also odd that there is no marital status for Jane. 

Could the date have been way off and this was Johanna's mother Jane Campbell who we know came to London, Middlesex, Ontario after 1854 and died 19 OCT 1869 • Middlesex, Ontario, Canada.

Seems like a great clue in any case. Thanks!

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
We find Joanna at the schoolhouse in Petty in 1841 and 1851 census.  No definitive match after 1851.  Trying to find anything in Canada but no luck so far.

Nothing close in passenger lists and nothing in marriages or deaths. 

Possibly a city directory from around the time of the census might help.  Time to visit the library.

A search for the Jane Clark age 33 in subsequent census or other documents fails to find anyone.  No marriage or death fits a person born about 1828. 

I just found a possible marriage in 1848, in Petty, for Joanna's brother Donald.  It appears he married a Jane Clark.  That could add a "new" Jane into this equation. Given that several came to Canada I guess it is possible that a spouse would be with an in-law but husband Donald is missing.

Canada records have a different Clark family on Ontario in the 1850's- and birthplace is listed as Inverness, Scotland.  Births in 1820's and living around Guelph, Ontario  Parents for one listed as John Clark and Mary Grant

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Looks like the marriage is a different person.  Birth location is off.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 October 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Canada census is making more sense.  Mother Jane was here and on her own.  Others from the family came to London, Ontario area as well so it seems likely Joanna would come as well after the death of her father.

The age for the Jane Clark listed is a mystery. Age is 33 but she is listed as a widow. She would be 62 or 63 at the time.  Is the age a slip of the pen?

I have looked for a city directory but so far no luck.  Many seem to only list a male head of household but the 1861 document does not give enough detail around address to know if they were living alone or with someone. The names adjacent are not familiar names

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
Still trying to fit the Jane and "Johan" from 1861.

Still have been unable to access a city directory for around that time.   

This is a clip of the census.  It is clear that Jane Clark is a widow but age wrong for my Jane who passed in 1869 at age 82 in London,Ontario

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to update the search for Joanna.

Hope everyone is safe and well.

While walking the local cemetery here in London Ontario, I found a number of markers that were laying flat and many hard to read.  I am waiting to hear from cemetery as to why they are flat (moved from an earlier cemetery perhaps?)

In any event, one marker stood out as I could read "Joanna" and "Jane C" and Donald Clark.  However, rest of stone was hard to read and office at cemetery was closed except for funerals/burials due to COVID.

As things have opened a bit I was able to speak to the office and was told that I could carefully clean the stone if I wished.

While not a perfect clean,  I was able to find that this was Joanna Clark  Birth 19 MAR 1813 and her mother Jane Campbell.  Jane's death date (month) differs from the death record so hopefully cemetery records will clarify.

The marker clearly says  wife or daughter “of Donald Clark, Schoolmaster, Petty, Inverness-shire Scotland”  We know that Donald was the schoolmaster there and that his death in 1853 meant family had to leave the house at the schoolhouse.

Many thanks for the feedback.