Author Topic: Donald Clark Birth 14 DEC 1821 • Petty,Inverness,Scotland  (Read 1828 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Clark Birth 14 DEC 1821 • Petty,Inverness,Scotland
« on: Friday 09 September 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
Looking for an info on Donald Clark Birth 14 DEC 1821 • Petty,Inverness,Scotland

He is the son of

Donald Clark (Schoolmaster in Petty)

1785–1853

Jane Campbell

1789–1869

I know he was baptized 19 Dec 1821 in Petty .  There is a Donald Clark in the 1841 census in Croy (according to an Ancestry hint) but nothing appears in a FreeCen search

Others in the family came to Canada as early as 1833 so he may have headed here.   There are several entries for arrivals with the name Donald Clark and approximate birth year but nothing definitive. I know there was likely another Donald Clark from the area that did come to Canada and passed in 1916 but that does not seem to be him

Thanks
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Clark Birth 14 DEC 1821 • Petty,Inverness,Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
Same question as on your other post.  Do you know whether he survived infancy?  Have you looked for him on the 1851 census which gives birthplaces
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
No proof he survived and it does not seem to be in 1851 census as none of the Donald or Donal Clarks appear to have been born on Petty.  Given his brother William was in Canada in 1833, it is possible he came here but so far no proof.  His sister came in 1854 and a family document lists her (Jessie/Jannet) as the 11th child but research says she was 10th so perhaps I missed a birth or there was child that passed shortly after birth and was unknown to the family.  More research ahead.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 October 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
No death records found at Scotland's People.  I find this at FreeCen for 1841 CLARK   Donald   M   20   Gardener Apprentice    Born Inverness-shire  No match in 1851 census I find a Donald Clark arriving in Canada in 1871 but where was he for 1851 and 1861 Scotland census if this is the same man? Several Donald Clarks in various Canada census but no way to link to this man.

Any suggestions on other resources

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thinking he may have also moved to Canada to be with family here I have visited a number of local cemeteries but have had no luck.  One lost all older records in a fire many years ago and a walk through the existing markers found nothing

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 22 20:00 BST (UK) »
I obtained an image of the 1841 census for Croy that has a Donald Clark, age 20 Gardener Ap.  Assume apprentice?  Unsure what is in margin next to his name. 

Croy seems close to Petty (a few miles) where family was living. Dalcross Castle nearby.   Possible working as apprentice on estate? See Garden Cottage with Gardner and family and possibly Porter Lodge?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 22 22:06 BST (UK) »
I obtained an image of the 1841 census for Croy that has a Donald Clark, age 20 Gardener Ap.  Assume apprentice?  Unsure what is in margin next to his name. 
Outhouse do - short for Outhouse ditto, referring to whatever place name is above.

Croy seems close to Petty (a few miles) where family was living. Dalcross Castle nearby.   
The parish of Petty is next to the parish of Croy and Dalcross.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.