Author Topic: Need help regarding the Place name on a Baptism  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help regarding the Place name on a Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 September 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Not as far between both places as I thought ...  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 September 16 15:35 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to step through the 1841 (Freecen)  for Cavers to see if I can find such a place but so far not spotted it  and a few EDs to go. My eyes/head hurt so will leave it.

Did the family move after the 1825 baptisms as there don't seem to be any other entries for them.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 September 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ailsa,
Just a thought: the name in your image certainly looks like “Fleethaugh”, but I wonder if there’s any possibility that the name “Teviothaugh”, written by someone else, has been re-interpreted by the writer of your image as “Fleethaugh”.
Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 September 16 04:16 BST (UK) »
Wow!!! I had to go away yesterday so have not had time to get back until now. You guys are wonderful. Yes I love the maps, I use them all the time and could not find anything.
I have gone back to the images I have printed out, and YES they are transcriptions all written in the same hand writing, recording them again I think into a second book. Reason I say this is these entries along with a number of others including the parents marriage, are NOT on Scotlandspeople, Nor on FamilySearch, Nor on the original microfilm I had ordered in. The LDS advised me to order in the second filming, of which this is Film No 102285. They are way out of order on the film as well compared to where they should be, but they are there. The LDS advised that these second filming films are not indexed, hence reason not on Scotlandspeople or FamilySearch. So remember that if you cannot find an entry, get the next films in.
So I have a feeling that McGroger might have hit the nail on the head, and it could be a transcription error for Teviothaugh.
Though I also like the ideas from Ruskie and Gadget regarding the meanings of the place.

Background: I do not know at this stage where Alexander Cairns comes from, nor his age. He had died before the 1841 Census somewhere that I cannot locate at this stage and may not either. Margaret remarried in 1844 to Robert Johnston, and there were no other children born to Alexander and Margaret Cairns that I know of or can find.
I have been following up on the children of Alexander and Margaret - William the son, became a Woollen Manufacturer in Langholm and then after he went bankrupt, move to the USA.
Helen last appears on the 1851 Census with Mother and Robert Johnston, then been told that she died young - still working on that one.
I have a feeling that John Cairns who married one of Margaret's sisters Janet Miller, maybe a brother to Alexander but John also died between the 1851 and 1861 Census, and as I cannot locate his death, suspect before 1855.

I would like to thank Ruskie (love the maps) Gadget, lots of ideas re the place names and McGroger who has given me lots of food for thought. I still have lots to work on regarding these families. The MILLERS were the weavers at Old Northhouse, and many of the family stayed within the walking sort of distance of each other during the early years.

Back to looking at more records to see what I can find, but think I will take note of what everyone has said and record what is written but with explanations next to it regarding the area names as well as the transcription possible error for Teviothaugh.  It all makes sense.
Many thanks guys you answered my query so quickly.
Ailsa

Offline Helen Renton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 September 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Have you tried transposing the F as a S It does look remarkably like a F but worth trying

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 September 16 06:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Helen.  :)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 September 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
After more researching, I decided to see if I could find a connection between Alexander Cairns who married Margaret Miller and the John Cairns who married Janet Miller (Janet and Margaret are sisters). Well I have a good possible and downloaded the baptisms from Scotlandspeople today. Both entries are following each other and the Parents are William Cairns in Gripknowe and Isobel Miller. (Kirkton Parish)
Now I spent hours trying to find Gripknowe on any maps, from the BFHS it says this place was known in the 1841 Census. Now found that the place may now be called Lightpipe -
If that is the case, then this could be correct, as Margaret Cairns with son William appear at BirkwoodFoot on the 1841 Census - this is not far from Stobs and also Lightpipe on the maps.

With Helen's idea I have also played around with the Capital letters, and even though it really does look like Fleethaugh - I was wondering if it could be Priesthaugh or even the Teviothaugh as previously suggested. Priesthaugh is an area where the Millers also worked, so it could make sense.
This family certainly is giving a good lesson at learning the place names of the area.

Again thanks for everyone's assistance.
Ailsa