Author Topic: Great,great grandparents,Hugh and Elizabeth Thomas.  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great,great grandparents,Hugh and Elizabeth Thomas.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 September 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
From Yffor.com the baptism records for the two sons William and Hugh are as follows:

510 23/10/1865 William Hugh    Hugh Elizabeth    Thomas    Baronhill                            Labourer    William Jones Curate

561 13/10/1869 Hugh            Hugh Elizabeth    Thomas    Baron Hill Upper Clynnog    Labourer    James Pryse Minister
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline wendythomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 September 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Glynm,I cannot trace William after he left home,whether he married or not or where he lived.

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy
If Maureen’s hunch is correct, tentatively I think I have found Elizabeth Thomas/Roberts baptism record in Clynnogfwawr:
62    16/01/1842    Elizabeth (B)    Joseph    Ellin    Hughes/Rbts    Cwmgwara/Gyrn goch    Labourer    Lewis Hughes Vicar
The (B) signifying that Elizabeth was illegitimate.

There is a baptism record for Ellin Roberts:
201    25/10/1818    Ellin    David    Margaret    Roberts/Griffith    Cil y Llidiart    Parish Clerk    Hugh Wms Vicar

David and Margaret were married at the time it was still tradition in Wales for some wives to retain their second name which was normally patronymic. There could be a connection, still to be checked, from Margaret Griffith to Emmanuel and Elizabeth Griffith.
It was at this point that I realised we were linking into part of my family tree since David Roberts youngest sister Catherine was my a maternal Great (x2) Grandmother. David and Catherine’s parents were Methusalem Roberts and Catherine Jones. Methusalem like his son was a Parish Clerk for Clynnog. He married twice and there are records of 17 of his children being baptised in the parish.

Glyn

Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline wendythomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 September 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks,you have a lot of information there.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 September 16 23:15 BST (UK) »
I can't find a marriage or death record either.There is a William Thomas born 1865 emigrated to USA in 1890,but insufficient detail to identify him from this side of the pond,or in USA census records.I think Ellis Island records only carry detail from 1892,but they might be worth trying.

Regards
Roger

Offline collwyn ap tangno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 October 23 09:48 BST (UK) »
hi Glyn, I came across this old thread. Did you finish searching for the cil y llidiart family?

It seems that at least three generations were clynnog parish clerks.

One of them was a son in law, William Jones. He married Ellin (ellinor), David Robert parish clerk’s daughter, and the grandaughter of Methusalem grandaughter also parish clerk. Her son Methusem jones was also parish clerk in 1891, then he’s down as a postman in 1901 and 1911.

Working back for william jones: in 1891 at cil y llidiart he’s church sexton, 1881 parish clerk, 1871 and 1861 agri labourer, 1851 shoemaker and 1841, living in Bryscyni with his parents, a shoemaker.

I’m trying to find a Robert Williams (1851 or 1852 born Llanfihangel y pennant or Porthmadog)  who is the son of a william jones shoemaker and this William has been named as his father in a family tree created by my uncle 30 years ago. My uncle passed away soon after so I can’t ask him how he made the connection but unfortunately the evidence doesn’t stack up. There is no Robert with this family in the 1861 census. There’s a record of a David son of william shoemaker and Ellin being babtised in clynnog in 1851 but then he disappears from the record.

It sounds like you’re from a different branch but you may have a clue.

thanks