Author Topic: Difference between Sojourner and Traveller  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Difference between Sojourner and Traveller
« on: Sunday 11 September 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
There is a post in this forum dated 2005, that says that a Traveller (as in romany) and a Sojourner were two different things. But there is NO proof.

So, can someone please tell me exactly what the difference was?

I have a very stubborn brick wall, who is identified on his marriage record as a sojourner and I cannot find anything about him prior to his marriage. He died in 1839, just 2 years before the census records began, so that is no help.

How do I know he was not of Romany descent?

His name was John Burrow (or Burrough) and I found a list of traveller/romany surnames which includes Burrow and Burrough. See Link below.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/celtic-traveller/about/background

I also have no description of John Burrow, no occupation, and no idea where or when he was born or who his parents were.

Thank you.
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between Sojourner and Traveller
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 September 16 00:41 BST (UK) »
Dictionary definition:

Sojourn
 noun
1. a temporary stay

verb (used without object)
2. to stay for a time in a place; live temporarily

Nothing to do with being a traveller! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 September 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CORNISH-GEN/2001-03

According to this reference (I hope the link works) it was something to do with the Poor Law.

I don't think it proves whether he was or wasn't a traveller as it seems to apply to anyone who is not 'settled' in the parish for whatever reason and therefore can't claim Poor Relief.

Pat

EDIT Just tried my link & it doesn't take you to the page I found - sorry! But I found it by googling & looking down the list of possibilities AFTER the dictionary definitions.

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Richardson - Rayne Essex

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
It may have been used for Poor Relief to avoid the parish paying, but it definitely isn't limited to it and I agree with KG that it refers to somebody temporarily staying in a parish for any reason.  I have several marriages where one of the parties was listed as a sojourner (annoying when you are trying to find where they came from) and Poor Relief had nothing to do with it.  I also have instances of pre 1813 burials where the person was listed as a sojourner, but there is no indication that the individuals were in receipt of poor relief which would often be annotated as pauper or paid by the parish.  In the case of marriages, considering the banns were read for 3 weeks, it suggests that the parish clerk didn't wish to say they resided in the parish even though if they had been there for 3 weeks they would normally be referred to as "of this parish". :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 September 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Yes Smudwhisk my comments weren't very clear.

I interpreted the link I posted as meaning they were registered as sojourner to avoid any possible claim against the parish at some future date, not that they were claiming parish relief at the time.

But of course that's obviously only one interpretation and 'sojourn' does indeed mean what KGarrad said.

Pat
Richardson - Rayne Essex

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 September 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi. The word traveller. For Romany. Folki is a fairly new one. I.e.   100.150 years back. I agree with the former answers. But. With the date you have and  no occupation. Or other information. You can be fairly sure. He was just a person traveling. Lots of people moved around. For  Work each. season. Not much help I know. Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .