Author Topic: Glasgow address from the late 1800s  (Read 4499 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow address from the late 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 September 16 20:08 BST (UK) »
It appears to be one of those streets that has multiple spellings, in the Directories of the time it is McLellan Street but in the maps it is Maclellan Street .

Residents of Govan have always been proud of their Burgh and even today many will tell you they come from Govan not Glasgow. (My grandmother was one of those  ::) )

Although mainly residential there were heavy industries alongside the houses which quickly stained the newly built tenements black with soot (there was an Iron Works Business in McLellan Street itself)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 September 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting and adds to the story of Govan.

My great-grandfather, Robert Petrie, was a Railway Yardman when the 1881 census was taken. He and his family (wife and 3 children) were living at 16 McLellan St.  On the census, the, also had a 22 year old (George P Kirk) living with them, who was described as a Boarder and his occupation was Railway Porter.

Would you happen to know if there was a railway close to McLellan Street in 1881?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 September 16 10:38 BST (UK) »
The maps show the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Line ran just south of the street but possibly more pertinent was that a short distance away you had the Caledonian Railway Kinning Park Depot (slightly further away were Pollokshields Station and Shields Road Station)

The 1882 plan of the area can be seen at the National Library of Scotland site at
http://maps.nls.uk/view/90721371

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 September 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the map, Falkyrn.  I'll enjoy looking at it and trying to work out where McLellan St was.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 September 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
If you zoom into the map you will see the words River Clyde - from the C go directly south and follow Mclean Street into Cornwall Street and straight to Maclellan Street (Mclellan Street)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 September 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the great directions - made it very easy to find MacLellan Street - I see what you mean now about how close the Iron Works were to the houses, in a previous message you sent.

It's a fantastic map that you sent me - very useful and it made me understand where things were in that area - I bet the family thought they were in heaven when they arrived in Sydney.

Warm regards
sharonkai

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 September 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the great directions - made it very easy to find MacLellan Street - I see what you mean now about how close the Iron Works were to the houses, in a previous message you sent.

It's a fantastic map that you sent me - very useful and it made me understand where things were in that area - I bet the family thought they were in heaven when they arrived in Sydney.

Warm regards
sharonkai

Strangely although not shown on that map the 1892 map I have, shows a farm (Langshot Farm) immediately behind the tenements - Heavy industry to the front and rural life to the back  ::)