Author Topic: Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
Update:   I have just received a reply from the NRS but their paper records contain no references to staff at Cardoness, only deeds and titles etc. So, will follow up other possible sources of info and post any results here.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cracked it: Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 July 17 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Just a thankyou to those who took the time to assist with this query - I think I have cracked the mystery.

As usual, I return to my brick walls from time to time to try to solve them and in this case, I think I have finally done it.

After lots of digging around on the Internet Archive I came up with the following information. Sir William Maxwell had a daughter called Alice, whose mother died after Alice's birth and Alice grew up to be well known as a deaconess.

In 1919, her sister wrote a book about Alice after her early death and in it, she credits Alice's nannie, Sarah Burns, with the survival of baby Alice from a severe bout of whooping cough when she was only a few weeks old.

As Alice was born at the end of 1856, this info reliably places Sarah in Scotland much earlier than I had previously thought, so probably by early 1857 at the latest. True, this cannot 100% be said to be 'my' Sarah, but given her tombstone inscription and the info on her death record, I think it gives very strong circumstantial proof that this nannie was my Sarah.

A little  persistence -  it's the thing which feeds the genealogy addiction when it works!!

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire