Author Topic: Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 September 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
Goodness, you're racing Gadget!

Thomas' address was 164 Crookston St, Glasgow. He was only home from time to time as he was at sea.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 September 16 11:12 BST (UK) »
How old was Thomas and where/when was he born?

Added - Sir William Maxwell, unmarried son, daughters and servants were at Cardoness House in 1891. He might well have known Sarah as he was born circa same time as her.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 September 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
He was born in 1851 in Ireland.

I don't know why or exactly when they moved to Scotland, but it was probably in the latter part of the 1860s.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 September 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again

From your earlier thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674962.18

You found that Lawrence and Sarah married 1837, in Ireland. Is there any info on that or subsequent birth records or Lawrences death cert that suggests that she'd been in Scotland before her marriage.

An alternative is that the Maxwell's had a property in Ireland and she worked for them there. The phrase 'valued nurse and friend at Cardonoss' might mean that she was a nurse/friend to the Maxwells of Cardonoss.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 01:23 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't been able to find any reference to Scotland in any previous records and I don't have a death for her husband. His name is not uncommon so to date, I've had no luck matching him to any of the records.

I've searched directories & newspapers in the past looking for any clue to exactly where they may have lived, but again, I cannot tell which one he might be.

Although Sarah said she was a widow, one can't even be sure of that completely, as it was probably the only 'respectable' description for a woman on her own who had been previously married. It's probably correct, but I can't rule anything out until I find the evidence.

I had not thought of the Maxwells possibly having property in Ireland, so that's a thought. My googling has not managed to find it if so, but I did read somewhere that there were many Irish properties owned by English or Scottish landowners.

My plan now is to contact the National Archives to see if I can find a way of accessing the records for the parish, even though they are not online and I can't go there myself. I also wondered whether there might be family papers relating to the Maxwell family of that time and if so, who might have them etc.

Seems a lot of research for a small piece of info, but the census records only give us that ten yearly snapshot of the person's life and anything could have happened in between.

Still, it's the detective work and stories which are so interesting to me in family history, not the dates or who begat who etc.

Regards Eliza.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
I had a good look online  at  Maxwell history yesterday.  Part of my own lines originated there and I find them in KKD in the late 1600s.  It took me about 10 years to sort them out - many went over during the 'plantation' of Ireland or for other reasons. I'm now going back  with mine to the earlier period which is more difficult but not impossible.

I purchased  lots of books and documents on the area and visited on numerous occasions.  You can search for many relevant document using the National Archives online records search -

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrasregister/welcome.aspx

Other sources, for e.g. :

http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/article/15308/Local-archives

http://www.old-kirkcudbright.net/museum.asp

I spoke to parish clerks as well. There was also a very good section in the library at Castle Douglas. Unfortunately, I see that you are not in the UK which makes researching far more difficult.

Gadget

Added - I assumed from your thread in Ireland that you were going to purchase a possible marriage/death cert.  Were they not the right ones?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
I'm going over there for a few days next month so if I get to the Gatehouse area, I'll see if I can find out anything for you.

Gadget

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
That's a lovely offer, thanks Gadget, very much.

I did buy an 1865 certificate a couple of years ago but it did not turn out to be the Lawrence Byrne  death I needed.

There were a few others of the same name but difficult to whittle them down to a list that wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg. If he'd had a trade instead of being a clerk it would have been easier to find him in the directories, but the words bank or clerk did not seem to go on the records.

Thanks for the links as well, I'll have a hunt through those on my next days off. I can sit all day trying to find something before I realise the day has gone :)

Eliza.

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
Update:  I have emailed the NRS with a reference from the National Archives which shows that there are some Maxwell family papers indexed but in private hands. I'm hoping that someone will be willing to check these for me, but I see from the automated reply I received that it could take quite some time for my query to be attended to. So, this thread may be here for a wee while :)

Regards Eliza.