Author Topic: Mary Gordon of Independent means - Tomintoul  (Read 1014 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Gordon of Independent means - Tomintoul
« on: Monday 12 September 16 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have a Mary Gordon and an Elspet McDonald living in two separate parts of a cottage/croft called Lagganvoulin (mile south of Tomintoul).  They are recorded on the census report of 1841 as being 'Ind' - presumably this means of independent means.  They are both aged 60.  I know that Mary Gordon was married for a few years to a Stewart/Stuart and that she did have a few children to various men.  She was the daughter of John Gordon, and she had two sisters Ann and Jane.  Her grandfather was likely a George Gordon (of Laggnavoulin) who is mentioned in Victor Gaffney's 'Lordship of Strathavon'. 

I am struggling to trace her line to find out where her Gordon's came from (so many of them in the area and surrounds).  I am intrigued that she should be living 'independently' - was she a relative of the Duke?  Also, that her immediate neighbour (Elspet McDonald of same age) was also independent.
Any help much appreciated.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gordon of Independent means - Tomintoul
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
Probably supported by her family or inherited a few bob!

Skoosh.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gordon of Independent means - Tomintoul
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
Being of independent means does not imply any great wealth. It can just mean she is not working, but is not poor enough to receive assistance from the parish.