Author Topic: Help with an address - County of Aberdeen  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with an address - County of Aberdeen
« on: Monday 12 September 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there . . .

Could anyone help me with address and place name - it is in the county of Aberdeen - may not necesssarily be a home address as the poor lass died just 14 - scarlet fever - if anyone can help that would be great help - many thanks in advance . . . : )

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an address - County of Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
First line looks like Bridge Ale House.

JJ

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:09 BST (UK) »
Looks like Bridge Alehouse to me too.

sami

....added - I'm stumped by the word below though.
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
Kintore?
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
Bridge Ale House - thats a brilliant starter - this is not a normal residence for this family so I wonder if it had anything to do with her health at the time - many thanks to both of you and may I say so quick too - and oops another message as I was writing has arrived - Kiltore - that is all starting to fit in now - bless you all - . . . ; )

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:23 BST (UK) »

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
A little bit of information, I don't know if it will help.
 The Aberdeen to Inverurie Canal was opened in 1807, it closed in 1852 after being sold to the Great North of Scotland Railway Company. Bridgealehouse operated as an ale house beside the canal and later for the nearby Kintore railway station (Aberdeen to Huntly line) which opened in 1854. The house was probably also a posting station on the Great Northern Road, with three stage-coaches passing through Kintore twice daily, this would certainly have called for the ample stabling provided by this good-sized steading.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 September 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
The Aberdeen to Inverurie Canal was opened in 1807, it closed in 1852 after being sold to the Great North of Scotland Railway Company. Bridgealehouse operated as an ale house beside the canal and later for the nearby Kintore railway station (Aberdeen to Huntly line) which opened in 1854. The house was probably also a posting station on the Great Northern Road, with three stage-coaches passing through Kintore twice daily, this would certainly have called for the ample stabling provided by this good-sized steading. The name `Bridgealehouse' had been altered to `Bridgend' some time before the Third Statistical Account, but lives on in the nearby `Bridgealehouse Burn'

This brilliant - My great grand father worked with horses - and one of his sons may have been born - Huntly - William Alexander Shaw B: 1919 - still to be confirmed - wow - doesn't it make you feel good getting it all to fit in - now to find why a young lass of just 12- 14 died there - any was there anymore siblings who may have gone the same way - thank you all so much . . . : )

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 September 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
"Wow" I needed a sleep after that one - why did my grandfathers sister died at Bridge Ale House - were they at one time residing there with her father James working with the horses or because of the railway line were they actually traveling at the time in view of Mary's health . . . ?

Out of all the children I can find all the others being born Leochel Cushnie (3) up to now - Mary was the only one born at Towie where her mother Helen McGregor was born - at first I thought with it being a house - just maybe it was a home for the infected - we now know that this is not so - Bridge Ale house was a lovely house in its day - now C listed - this family - my family - never seemed to be on poverty road so - what brought on this deadly infection that within months killed poor Mary - my thoughts if Mary was able to travel her mother would have taken Mary back to Towie where Mary's mother Helen McGregor was born and then gave birth to Mary . . .

It is so much harder to find infomation in the more modern age - not least with a family through work moved around a lot - my task is now to find where Mary Laing Shaw was buried - Death 2nd Feb 1936 - anyone one meeting Mary on your travels to any Kirkyards in the area - it would be more than appericated - I have Mary's birth cert next on list to buy to get correct date of birth - it is registered as 1922 - but as I do not know what month Mary was born in - it could well be 1921 - Towie - Aberdeenshire - the family being at Kintore has totally thrown me here . . .