Author Topic: van der MERWE is frying my brain  (Read 721 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
van der MERWE is frying my brain
« on: Tuesday 13 September 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
My cousin in the UK had a DNA test done (we're trying to prove a family connection) and links to two surnames in SA appeared.  I have managed to find the one connection through ggrandma (which now gives OH and I a common ancestor ;D) and it has sort of confirmed our suspicions.

The other one is the one giving me fried brain. Apparently we are looking for a 4th cousin via 4xgrandparents (gggggrandparents in other words this always confuses me)

The only van der Merwe in our tree is:

Cornelia Johanna Landman nee van der Merwe 1848-1936 married Carel Frederick Coenraad Landman 1846-?

Parents:

Gerrit Jacobus Hendrik Johannes van der Merwe 1811-? and Rachel Wilhelmina Petronella Meyer

Parents and husband confirmed by Death Notice

Now I am looking for the connection to:

Susanna Johanna Susara Jacoba van der Merwe 1880-1947 m Roelof Petrus Gerhardus Jansen van Rensburg 1876-1956

I have been at this for days and my brain is now fried and I am confusing myself. Hoping there is someone out there who can put me out of my misery!!!

ADDED

Just to make matters worse I now find that 2xgrandfather (gggrandfather) married a second time and she was also a van der Merwe, Johanna Wilhelmina. m Johan Karel Pieter Landman 1870-1926

Do they do this deliberately just to make my life a confusing mess!!!

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: van der MERWE is frying my brain COMPLETED
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 14:23 BST (UK) »

Mystery has been solved, link proven, was on the right track just had to get the right connection.

The DNA link exists so we have proven what we set out to prove, a family connection.... ;D ;D ;D

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)