Author Topic: Bassett sisters  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bassett sisters
« on: Tuesday 13 September 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some assistance . I am researching for a friend her grandmother Louise, sometimes given as Louisa Bassett, born 1898 or possibly 1899 (depending on the record consulted) in Hull, Yorkshire, and her sister Elizabeth Evelyn Bassett born 1900 at Hull Yorkhire.

Their parents were Joseph Bassett and Jane A. Bassett, nee Gibson.

The 1901 census  taken at 2 Nellies Terrace in Sculcoates, Yorkshire gave Joseph Bassett born 1849 Nowwich Durham with his wife Jane, born 1865 Middlesborough,Yorkshire and a niece, but no Bassett Children.

Knowing from immigration records that their brothers Ernest and Joseph came to Canada in 1923 together from Dr Barnardo's Home in Barkingside, Ilford, Essex we expected to find a records of Louisa and Elizabeth at the same home but I found the 1901 census for this home and Louise and Elizabeth were not there and did not find any children listed under the age of 2.

So thinking that there must be another Dr Barnardo's home that took in babies I looked for other homes in Yorkshire believing that perhaps the sisters ended up there. After going though the list there was only one home in Yorkshire prior to 1901 namely the "Leeds Ever Open Door' home at 24 Kirkgate,Yorkshire that was opened in 1892 but I cant find any records of what girls were there before 1910. There is of course the possibility that the two sisters were not at that home in a home somewhere else or even living with relatives but I could not find out.

Louise and Elizabeth travelled together to Canada in 1910 and immigration records state that they travelled " under the auspices of Dr Barnardo's Homes, destination Toronto, Ontario first and then to Dr Barnardo's girls home in Peterborough, Ontario.

My question is  can anyone supply a 1901 census record or other record for Louise and Elizabeth in England prior to 1910?

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bassett sisters
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have had a quick look, and thought I would start with GRO Birth Registration records, I am struggling to find Louise(a) and Elizabeth Evelyn's birth registrations.  Was their mum Jane Gibson married before she married Joseph Bassett? 

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Just to keep records straight, Joseph Bassett on the 1901 census is born Dereham, Norwich, which is in the county of Norfolk.

Like Goughy I can't find the births for the 2 girls.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
There are 2 baptisms at Newington for;
Louisa Bassett on 18.11.1898 - parents Joseph and Jane at 2 Nellie's Terrace, Gillett St.

Elizabeth Bassett (no other middle name given) -at exactly the same address on 5.9.1900 - parents again were Joseph and Jane.

Baptisms are on the Yorkshire baptisms on Find My Past.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - there was a Sailors Orphanage in Hull, ostensibly for orphaned children of Sailors -- but reading about it --- it seems to have expanded into cottage homes for children, and I'm not sure if these were ONLY for sailor's children.

Peter Higginbottom's Childrens Homes website has some brilliant information and photographs about this particular orphanage -- although it may not have been were Louise and Elizabeth were placed.

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/HullSailors/

What happened to Joseph and Jane? Is there anything in local newspapers -- have you checked those by any chance?
Places of interest;

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed for the baptism records 'Pennines'. This is great! Never had that information.

In 1911 census, taken at 5 Filey Parade, Gillett Street, Hessle Road, Hull, Yorkshire was Joseph Basset, a bricklayer born 1851 (actually 1850) at Norwich, Norfolk with wife Jane and their daughters Martha, age 9 and Minnie,age 2, I have all the information I need for Martha and Minnie.

Jane Basett died in Hull, Yorkshire in 1921 and buried in the local cemetery. Joseph Bassett died in 3rd qrt 1936 at Sculcoates, Yorkshire. Don't know when or where he was buried- do you?

Great work. It sure would be nice to find out what Dr Barnardo's home Louisa/Louise and her sister Elizabeth were at in 1901. Just cant seem to find them at all in the 1901 census which suggests to me that their surnames must have been recorded incorrectly and must be under some derivation of the name Bassett such as Bissett or Basset etc.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello 'Pennines'

When I said I had all I need for Martha and Minnie Bassett I should have said I am missing their baptism records. Martha according to 1911 census and immigration records was born 1909 at Hull, Yorkshire and her sister Martha was born at the same place in 1902. Their parents of course were Joseph Bassett and Jane Bassett, nee Gibson.

They had siblings Ernest, born March 4,1906 at Hull Yorkshire and Joseph born 1912 at Sculcoates,Yorkshire. I would appreciate the baptism records for them too. Same parents as above.

All of these children ended up in a Dr Barnardo's home in England and also when sent to Canada, except for one of the sisters who married in England.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Smokey,

I obtained the baptisms of Louisa and Elizabeth from the filmed Yorkshire baptisms on the Find My Past website. Strangely though --- there are no other baptisms on that site in these Yorkshire baptisms (irrespective of parish) -- for Bas* children born to parents named Joseph and Jane.

That is really weird.

I notice that Minnie's marriage record in 1925 is on the Ancestry website -- and she gives her parents details as Joseph Bassett and Jane Gibson. Also her burial record is on Find A Grave.

Amazing that there are so many records for Minnie -- but we can't find her baptism. I am totally bemused as to why these parents had so many children placed in an orphanage, yet neither parent had died.

Really sorry that I cannot see any other baptisms except Louisa and Elizabeth.
Places of interest;

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Pennines

Thank you for taking the time to search for the other baptisms. Too bad no records for them all. Yes it is rather strange.

Did you or could you have a go at finding a 1901 census for Louisa and Elizabeth. They have to be in England somewhere that year. I use the Ancestry UK site for research. I am not a subscriber to other sites. I don't know how to do a 'wildcard' search of derivations of a surname-perhaps you do or the sites you use allows this.