Author Topic: Bassett sisters  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bassett sisters
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Pennines

For the baptisms of Louisa and Elizabeth can you tell me the name and location of the church they were baptised at. My friend would like to know so she can add a photo of the church to her family tree.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Smokey,

The baptisms were from Hull, Newington St John Anglican Church 1898 - 1900.

However there are Newington baptisms on the site, presumably in separate registers for after 1900. I have searched every way I know to find children born to Joseph and Jane - but without success (except for Louisa and Elizabeth.)

If you subscribe to Ancestry you can use a wild card either at the end OR at the beginning of a name (in the middle as well, but I've never tried that!).

So for Bassett you could try bas* (an asterisk) after the first few letters --- or do it the other way round --- *ett or *itt or whatever. It's particularly useful for longer names such as Margaret, Elizabeth, Christopher etc -- which are frequently transcribed or spelt incorrectly. Hence marg* --- eliz* --- chr* or cri*. Also for surnames which can have variant spellings depending on what an enumerator thought he heard - or how HE thought it was spelt.

I have searched for the girls on the census record, without success. Sometimes if people were an an Institution (although not usually if they were in an orphange) -- initials of inmates/patients were shown only -- eg LB. I wonder if that is what has happened in this case?

It's really frustrating I know.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
Smokey -- Dr Barnardos have a research service. There will be a cost, but just have a look at;

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/our_history/working_with_former_barnardos_children-2013/family_history_service/family_history_service_our

(I am not sure if that is the complete link -- but if it doesn't work just try googling 'Dr Barnardos Archives' -- without the quotes)
Places of interest;

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 16:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pennines and everyone else who responded to my inquiry and did such a good job researching the top.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 17:04 BST (UK) »
Good Luck with it Smokey. If you have time -- and get anywhere with Dr Barnardos Research service -- please let us know how you get on.
Places of interest;