Author Topic: Simpson family (Ballymena butchers) & graves in Ballymena Old Churchyard  (Read 2024 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson family (Ballymena butchers) & graves in Ballymena Old Churchyard
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 March 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Where can I find a copy of that book by Barr?

The old churchyard is in a sorry state since vandals broke in and defaced or toppled many gravestones.  I don't think the town council gives a damn, either.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Criswell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 March 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered the Isabell (no 'a') Spence death in Ballymena in 1875? She was aged 48, so born c1827. May be worth checking, even if only to rule it out.

Yes, I am definitely considering her. I haven't been able to find much out about her. I have her death certificate and I was hoping for it to be signed by a Simpson but it wasn't. At the moment, she's my best lead as her date of birth fits in nicely with the family but I haven't been able to definitey rule her out or in.

Offline Criswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 March 17 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Where can I find a copy of that book by Barr?

The old churchyard is in a sorry state since vandals broke in and defaced or toppled many gravestones.  I don't think the town council gives a damn, either.

That is such a shame that it isn't being looked after.

They sell the book at The Braid Museum and they kindly let me buy one over the phone and posted it to me. If you want me to look anyone up for you I'd be happy to.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
What address is on her death certificate?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Criswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
What address is on her death certificate?

The address on the death certificate was Alexander Street. My Simpson family owned a property on Alexander Street at the time (it was left to Isabella's brother, Alexander, in their father's will) but I don't know if any of them lived there. In 1877 Alexander lived in William Street and his brothers lived in Linenhall Street. After Alexander died in 1919 his estate included a tenement of 3 dwellings on Alexander Street which was rented out for 2s a week, so I don't know how likely it is that his sister would have lived there.

The death certificate was signed by Eliza Millar (by making her mark). Isabella's sister Mary Jane married into a Millar family but died sometime before 1874. So I have hints at a connection but I don't know if they are good enough.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Criswell.

I'm planning a trip to B'mena library soon, and Pat's Brae is close to The Braid.
Incidentally, when I was young I'm sure the name of the river was pronounced brad, but recently I've heard people pronounce it like the English word meaning woven tape or hair.  I think the Irish is bráid, so presumably it should be pronounced braad (?).
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 08:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm not seeing a Spence in Alexander Street at time of the 1869-1881 Valuation Revision book, albeit there is a Margaret Simpson in one of the properties listed number 32 (but not one leased out by a Simpson).

There are also a few previously vacant properties with 'lodger' noted rather than a specific name. There is a Robert Millar in a property listed number 34, next to one listed number 35 that has a lodger. Both of these are listed 2 and 3 numbers away from the Margaret Simpson property. Again, though, neither were leased from a Simpson.

There is a William Simpson at the property numbered 6. He is leasing this property from someone else, albeit in turn looks to be leasing out number 7 to another person.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 08:16 GMT (UK) »
In the same period, a John Simpson in leasing out the property listed as number 22.

You can browse through the 1869-1881 book, as well as later Revision Books, on the PRONI website:

http://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/Search.aspx

Offline Criswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info and link Scotmum. I'll definitely have a look.