Author Topic: [REQ] English Translation of German Military Record  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
[REQ] English Translation of German Military Record
« on: Wednesday 14 September 16 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am hoping that someone here might be able to translate the attached images, which are in German, into English for me.  It is from a "German Casualities in the Franco-Prussian War" image.  Many thanks in advance.

One image shows the heading on the page in which Conrad Hotop is mentioned, and the other is the entry for Conrad.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: [REQ] English Translation of German Military Record
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
Casualty List No. 55

Combat action at Amanvillers
(A Gefecht is a small-scale battle. A full-scale battle is a Schlacht in German. The main battle in this case was the Battle of Gravelotte)

Schleswig-Holsteinisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 9
(S-H Field Artillery Regiment No. 9)
4. Schwere Batterie
(4th Heavy Battery)

Kan[onier] Conrad Ernst Hotop aus Preussich Holland Kreis Königsberg. V[ermisst] unb[ekannt]

Bombardier CEH from Preussisch Holland. Missing. Fate unknown.

One of the other records on ancestry reported that he was sch[wer] verw[undet] = seriously wounded

Have you seen his death certificate (Hamburg 10 July 1904)?

Preussisch Holland was actually the administrative seat of the eponymous Kreis (district) in the Regierungsbezirk (government district) in Provinz Ostpreussen.

Justin

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 16 01:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that translation JustinL.  I just found his Death Certificate thanks to the information you provided, and wondered if you could possibly translate that for me, which going by what I can read of it, looks like he might not be connected to the person I was searching for.  Looking for a Konrad (Conrad) Hotop, born circa 1820, who married a Maria Kathleen von Karoli (Caroli).
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This Konrad Hotop is a generation after the man your are seeking. But maybe your chap came from the same part of East Prussia.

Hamburg, 11 June 1904
Marie Margerete Luise Hotop, servant of Rotherbaum Chaussee 169, Hamburg, reported that
the carpenter Konrad Ernst Hotop, 56y 3m, Protestant, of Billhorner Röhrenbaum 238, Hamburg,
born in Preussisch Holland, East Prussia
on 1st April 1848 married
to Luise Katharina born Timm
son of the late bricklayer
Herrmann Hotop and his wife
Henriette Johanna born
Grabe, resident in Berlin
has died in his residence
on 10th June 1904 at 3:30am.

There was a von Karoli (or Karolyi) family (wealthy Austrian nobility) from Nagykaroly in eastern Hungary (now Carei in NW Romania).

Unfortunately, the German records available on ancestry are a tiny fraction of these available in the numerous German archives.

Justin

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the translation Justin.  Such a shame that Ancestry doesn't have many German archives.  Although even if they did I'd have trouble reading them, lol.

I'm not sure on which part of Germany Konrad and Maria Kathleen von Karoli came from, but three of their sons were apparently born in Saalfeld, Thuringia.  They were:
  • Ludwig Adolph Heinrich Hotop, born circa 1847
  • Heinrich Gottlieb Theodor Hotop, born circa 1855
  • Alfred Frederick Louis Hotop (english name), born circa 1856

They all emigrated to New Zealand, although at least 2 went to Australia first.  Shipped out of Bremen.  Any advice on where I could find some archives which might assist me?  Thanks!

Online Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Tikva,

FamilySearch has a lot of german records.
For HOTOP in Germany there are 1122
For Konrad HOTOP in Germany there are 73

Might be worth looking around there for familiar names.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
Films of the parish registers (Kirchenbuecher) of Saalfeld are held in the Landeskirchenarchiv Eisenach. Unfortunately, the website is German.

http://www.landeskirchenarchiv-eisenach.de/benutzung/genealogie/

The email address is archiv.eisenach@ekmd.de

The archive staff are not in a position to undertake extensive research, so you might just be given a list of local professional genealogists.

The registers for Coburg, where Alfred Hotop stated he had been born on his naturalisation application, will be held in a Bavarian archive. Coburg became Bavarian in 1920.

Good luck, Justin

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Hotop is distributed all over Prussia and Saxonia.

http://meta.genealogy.net/

Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
Films of the parish registers (Kirchenbuecher) of Saalfeld are held in the Landeskirchenarchiv Eisenach. Unfortunately, the website is German.

http://www.landeskirchenarchiv-eisenach.de/benutzung/genealogie/

The email address is archiv.eisenach@ekmd.de

The archive staff are not in a position to undertake extensive research, so you might just be given a list of local professional genealogists.

The registers for Coburg, where Alfred Hotop stated he had been born on his naturalisation application, will be held in a Bavarian archive. Coburg became Bavarian in 1920.

Good luck, Justin

Thanks again Justin.  One quick question though - isn't there a town by the name of Coburg about 80km away from Saalfeld, both in Germany?  Google maps tells me there is, and I just assumed that it was that Coburg that Alfred was referring to on his Naturalisation papers.