Author Topic: Address help, Coalbrookdale  (Read 578 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Address help, Coalbrookdale
« on: Wednesday 14 September 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I'm used to tracing people and families, but I've never had to work backwards from an address before and find myself in a bit of a conundrum - I could use your assistance!

I am currently trying to find out who lived at the address that is now 4 Woodside, Coalbrookdale in each census record to get a better understanding of the property's history. The problem is that the census records are, as usual, not numbered. To further complicate matters, there area few housing estates in the wider area that also go by this name.

Apparently, this row of terraces dates back to around 1790 and the terrace was known as Dunkey's Row, see: http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCS_MSA30885/

This seems to correlate with entry 157 on the 1891 census which I think refers to 'Duncan's Terrace' under Woodside and just before the Main Road, which I believe is the road that is now known as Wellington Road. There only seem to be three households listed, however, when there are four buildings in the terrace.

Any help unpicking this mystery or any pointers about how you have solved similar problems would be greatly appreciated!