Author Topic: crystal grove and mills, millbridge/heckmondwike  (Read 4641 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: crystal grove and mills, millbridge/heckmondwike
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 September 16 07:13 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed! I found this reference yesterday! I find the Google books function is often very useful in picking up useful bits and bobs. Thank you for the thought.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 September 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
What a very useful find Dobfarm - and it goes back to the original query about Crystal Mills -- AND mentions both FairfaxKelley and Michael Swallow.

We still don't know why the mill was so named, but in the meantime have had a really enjoyable time corresponding about little Heckmondwike!

The book is Frank Peel's again -- he was a positive mine of information about that area.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 September 16 17:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, Peel was undoubtedly the man! Thanks to everyone for your replies, it's been great.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 September 16 09:47 BST (UK) »
For anyone following up the Kelley or the Swallow family trees who comes across the reference above to a family link between the Kelleys and the Swallow family, please note this is incorrect. It was not Fairfax Kelley's son who married Ellen Swallow, but his nephew James, son of Fairfax's elder brother John. The Holdsworth family tree posted on Ancestry will give you the full particulars. Don't want anybody to get misled!

Offline dreamhills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 June 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
HELLO i KNOW THAT THIS IS A VERY OLD POST SO DONT REALY  KNOW IF YOU WILL SEE IT
YOU ASK ABOUT Fairfax Kelley  he is on my G G Grandparents Marriage Certificate as a Whiteness
they were Daniel Berry and Mary Ann Kelley  so he could have been Marys Brother or Cousin
can,t confirm this Chrystal Mills were at the Bottom of Union Road  which runs from just opposite the Park up to the junction of Huddersfield Road Liversedge  they were known as Whiteheads in the 1960s
spinning winding reeling all Textile Manufacture  they closed down years ago  The Spen Beck  ran at the side of the Mill so was most likely  to provide steam power for the machinery  there is a huge
Grave  for Fairfax in Heckmondwike  Cemetery  hope this helps if you are still interested in  this  Bramley8

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 June 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Dreamhills,

Just to reassure you - everyone who was involved in the original string of this correspondence should receive your message, providing they are still members of Rootschat.

I have received it safely as I was one of the correspondents -- but I am not involved with the families - only the area.

Regards
Places of interest;

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 June 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dreamhills

I am the original poster on this topic. I think Mary Ann may have been Fairfax Kelley's niece: her father was John Kelley. Thank you for the detailed account of the location of Crystal Mills, very helpful.

Best wishes
Queencorgi

Offline Lindsay Briggs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 April 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello, Crystal Works is situated on Union road, Heckmondwike. We are out atm but if needed I can take a photo and post it. I have always wondered about it’s history. ☺️

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 April 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Lindsay and welcome to Rootschat.

How kind of you to offer to take a photograph. I am sure the people involved in this correspondence, especially those who don't live in the area, would be delighted to see one.
Places of interest;